Positive Black Friday Sales Give AMD New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
The console business should really help AMD.

[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]We only have a few more months until the release of AMD's sea islands 8000 series GPUs, no? I hope that adds to their recovery.[/citation]

A shame that their CPU department couldn't be as successful as the GPU department.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I think AMD should partner with Canonical to provide us with an Ubuntu tablet. I think Unity would be a good interface for touch and netbooks and Canonical already has a developer preview that looks very promising. If AMD could figure out how to get their low-power APU's to run silky smooth with Ubuntu, it could be a strong alternative to the locked down Win8 RT. If they partnered with another hardware vendor (like ASUS) to give us an open tablet like Google did with their Nexus 7, and a distribute as well (like System76), I can guarantee Linux enthusiasts as well as people on a tight budget would flock to an open x86 Ubuntu tablet, myself included.

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I did my part from black Friday through cyber Monday I bought a Fx-8350 coupled with a Gigabyte 990Fx mb and two Sapphire Vapor X 7770 gpus.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]erick81[/nom]I did my part from black Friday through cyber Monday I bought a Fx-8350 coupled with a Gigabyte 990Fx mb and two Sapphire Vapor X 7770 gpus.[/citation]

If those two 7770's are for crossfire, then you've got me scratching my head.

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]If those two 7770's are for crossfire, then you've got me scratching my head.[/citation]The machine is going to be a gift for my nieces the 7770's made more sense with what I had planned to get for a Cpu and Mb but the 8350 and 990Fx fell into my lap for a price that I couldn't pass up so for now it'll work out.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Black Friday I bought myself a new AMD CPU and board (next month im buying the 6670 to go with it). I love AMD becasue of the performance,price point and reliability.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Between this, and that rumor that Intel is switching over to SoC, this might be the best news day AMD has had in ages. In a few months little bro is gonna be building an AMD Workstation (2x Opteron 6212s and a FirePro V5900).If this keeps up, prior rumors of AMDs demise may turn out to have been greatly exaggerated.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]drosencraft[/nom]If this keeps up, prior rumors of AMDs demise may turn out to have been greatly exaggerated.[/citation]

They always were. They are essentially confirming something we knew a while back. AMD's cutting the fat, they have a steady revenue from consoles, and they can still beat Intel when comes to pure cost. AMD's problem has always been not capitalizing on their advantages.

G

if Intel starts soldering their chips to their motherboards (as reported, may or may not be true) then AMD might get a leg up on them by not doing this

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]I think AMD should partner with Canonical to provide us with an Ubuntu tablet. I think Unity would be a good interface for touch and netbooks and Canonical already has a developer preview that looks very promising. If AMD could figure out how to get their low-power APU's to run silky smooth with Ubuntu, it could be a strong alternative to the locked down Win8 RT. If they partnered with another hardware vendor (like ASUS) to give us an open tablet like Google did with their Nexus 7, and a distribute as well (like System76), I can guarantee Linux enthusiasts as well as people on a tight budget would flock to an open x86 Ubuntu tablet, myself included.[/citation]
I don't mean to sound vulgar, but I might actually literally cream my pants if that happened!!!

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]If those two 7770's are for crossfire, then you've got me scratching my head.[/citation]
I've got dual 7770s, but it was because my local store wasn't selling anything else and I wanted to support a local retailer.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Margins for profit on consoles are much like margins on Tegra for Nvidia, slim but not negligible. It doesn't rake in very much cash, much like the success of the E & C Series APU's AMD put out for netbooks. They sold pretty darn well but it doesn't equate to very much in profit overall.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]They always were. They are essentially confirming something we knew a while back. AMD's cutting the fat, they have a steady revenue from consoles, and they can still beat Intel when comes to pure cost. AMD's problem has always been not capitalizing on their advantages.[/citation]AMD has zero advantages compared to Intel. Intel isn't charging big bucks because that's the development cost...they charge it because people pay it. Xeon Phi is a great example....$2500 starting price ...why? Because the only people buying it have big grants or government funding and don't care about cost.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
didnt expect this at all. nearly all the websites I visited on black friday and cyber monday were flooded with intel cpus(most of which werent really like a good deal should be, $10 off a 2500k?). good thing people weeded those deals out and picked up some AMD chips. i saw an fx-4100 at $80 somewhere($30 off).

with the rumors that amd is making chipsets for sony and microsoft on their next consoles, it looks like a brighter road ahead for them.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]I think AMD should partner with Canonical to provide us with an Ubuntu tablet. I think Unity would be a good interface for touch and netbooks and Canonical already has a developer preview that looks very promising. If AMD could figure out how to get their low-power APU's to run silky smooth with Ubuntu, it could be a strong alternative to the locked down Win8 RT. If they partnered with another hardware vendor (like ASUS) to give us an open tablet like Google did with their Nexus 7, and a distribute as well (like System76), I can guarantee Linux enthusiasts as well as people on a tight budget would flock to an open x86 Ubuntu tablet, myself included.[/citation]

I know I'd get one. Been watching the Nexus 7, if things lift up and Ubuntu gets better on it I will be getting one just to put Ubuntu on it.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I currently have a Intel Q9550 and a Nvidia 560 Ti 1 GB, and I'm kinda getting limited by the CPU and the 1 GB vram now.

I would surely do with a Vishera 3850 and a Radeon 7870 2 GB sometime in the near future :D.

I would absolutely hit that at the right price. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.