Positive or Negative pressure? (SIMPLE QUESTION)

Sep 17, 2018
Which benefits more from a lower room temperature; positive or negative pressure?
By this, I mean that if my room is constantly cold rather than warm(or warm rather than cold), would it be better to have positive or negative air pressure in my case?

Solution
The whole positive vs negative pressure thing is kind of a silly argument. It is really case specific and based on where your hot components are. The better you can move cool air over them the cooler system you will have. The dust debate is equally silly. Some homes simply have less or more dust, and dust will settle wherever. I will say that having an intake on the bottom of the PC will get you more dust though.

So, get some exhaust fans near your hot components, with some intakes on the opposite and you'll be good to go. I generally recommend a pretty even distribution and somewhat positive if you can manage it.

My home is kept pretty cool and I've found that a top and rear exhaust, with the PSU mounted on bottom pulling air from...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Personally, I don't look at positive vs. negative pressure, I look at air flow itself. Optimal cooling is a factor of air flow.

Basically, front, bottom, and side fans are typically used to pull cooler air into the case, while rear and top fans exhaust warm air. You can tweak the number and RPMs of fans to optimize flow while minimizing noise.

In my years of experience, this matter of air flow far exceeds any minimal gains in reference to air pressure.

The whole positive vs negative pressure thing is kind of a silly argument. It is really case specific and based on where your hot components are. The better you can move cool air over them the cooler system you will have. The dust debate is equally silly. Some homes simply have less or more dust, and dust will settle wherever. I will say that having an intake on the bottom of the PC will get you more dust though.

So, get some exhaust fans near your hot components, with some intakes on the opposite and you'll be good to go. I generally recommend a pretty even distribution and somewhat positive if you can manage it.

My home is kept pretty cool and I've found that a top and rear exhaust, with the PSU mounted on bottom pulling air from the case, with two front and a side intake keeps my system cooler than any other configuration... but that is pretty case specific as some cases only have a single front fan. I clean dust out once a year with a canned air. That is the best cooling setup for me. Your mileage may vary.

Solution