[SOLVED] Positive pressure? Help with placements

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
I have a fractal meshify s2 that I am looking to add more cooling too. I am Noctua everything at the moment with current setup
10700K + U14S single fan
2x140mm NFA14 intake
1x140mm NFA14 exhaust

I strictly game+stream and during 1080p Warzone games while streaming my CPU is about 69-77C

I have one more NFA15 fan around I was going to do push/pull on the U14S but have since thrown that on the exhaust to replace the 140mm. Essentially I have 3 more NFA14 to mount and I’m curious where the best locations would be? Where would everyone mount?

5 NFA14 140mm
2 NFA15 150mm

thank you!

Solution
That's right, you had that cooling thread about the on-the-way 3080. You were asked to wait and see what happens once the gpu is in.

I’m definitely going to check if MCE is enabled
Not MCE, I meant undervolt in general. All motherboards overvolt by default to guarantee the advertised clock speeds, bar silicon lottery.
The cpu and gpu all can be configured to receive less than what they usually ask for. Less voltage, lower power, and thus cooler.

I meant the top mount to be for exhaust as I would sit it right above the cpu cooler.
Less effective overall than just having the rear fan.
https://silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=en&tid=wh_airflow
Go to point 6, but ignore that part about top intake; it is case...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Pick your poison, as there isn't a 'best'.

current setup
10700K + U14S single fan
2x140mm NFA14 intake
1x140mm NFA14 exhaust
Bonus for the cpu, not the gpu.

Adding top exhausts:
Bonus for the gpu, not the cpu.

Top intake? No, that only works ok in very specific setups, and I don't believe this is one of them.

If you want to improve thermals further, perhaps look into how you can undervolt the cpu and gpu, because both use more voltage than they need by default, but it's done that way to guarantee stability.

Reactions: trofeer

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, what is the make and model of your motherboard? Do you have necessary fan headers on the motherboard or are you going to pair the fans to the fan hub? I would advise on a Push/pull on the CPU cooler and then have the 140's setup with 3 in the front as intake and 2 in the rear for exhaust. Top rear most mounting location.

Your temps actually seems fine as is. You could tinker around and see if the temps do get favorable or if the heat is evacuated faster.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
Pick your poison, as there isn't a 'best'.

Bonus for the cpu, not the gpu.

Adding top exhausts:
Bonus for the gpu, not the cpu.

Top intake? No, that only works ok in very specific setups, and I don't believe this is one of them.

If you want to improve thermals further, perhaps look into how you can undervolt the cpu and gpu, because both use more voltage than they need by default, but it's done that way to guarantee stability.
I’m definitely going to check if MCE is enabled but PC is down atm while I await my new GPU. My mistake, I meant the top mount to be for exhaust as I would sit it right above the cpu cooler.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
Out of curiosity, what is the make and model of your motherboard? Do you have necessary fan headers on the motherboard or are you going to pair the fans to the fan hub? I would advise on a Push/pull on the CPU cooler and then have the 140's setup with 3 in the front as intake and 2 in the rear for exhaust. Top rear most mounting location.

Your temps actually seems fine as is. You could tinker around and see if the temps do get favorable or if the heat is evacuated faster.
I have the ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero (WiFi).
6tPss8S.jpg

I’m liking the 150mm on the back, may have to order another for the pull side of the U14S. My other ideas were remove the shroud and throw another 140 up front or toss on on the absolute bottom by PSU for intake and another on top for exhaust just over the cooler heatsink

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's right, you had that cooling thread about the on-the-way 3080. You were asked to wait and see what happens once the gpu is in.

I’m definitely going to check if MCE is enabled
Not MCE, I meant undervolt in general. All motherboards overvolt by default to guarantee the advertised clock speeds, bar silicon lottery.
The cpu and gpu all can be configured to receive less than what they usually ask for. Less voltage, lower power, and thus cooler.

I meant the top mount to be for exhaust as I would sit it right above the cpu cooler.
Less effective overall than just having the rear fan.
https://silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=en&tid=wh_airflow
Go to point 6, but ignore that part about top intake; it is case specific.

So, just the one rear exhaust fan, or 2-3 top exhaust fans if you're going to prioritize the gpu cooling. No in-between, 1 rear/1 top exhaust.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS