"Possessed" Asus Monitor (pulls up and fiddles with display settings by itself; randomly powers itself on)

Wingfoot201

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
My Asus VH202 monitor has been working fine up till last week, when it started pulling up the display settings and adjusting the brightness (sometimes up, sometimes down). This is not an auto-adjust feature; it really looked like someone had pressed the menu button on the monitor and was fiddling with the brightness levels. Sometimes it would mess with display modes too (theater, game, etc.). It would only do this when my desktop was powered on.

Last night at about 4 AM I woke up to a bright light and realized that the monitor had powered itself on (my desktop and monitors had been powered off). I turned it off, and then it switched itself on again. I decided to watch it do its thing, and it rapidly cycled on and off about 10 times before I just unplugged it.

Now that it's a more decent time of morning, I'm trying to figure out the issue. Of the solutions I've found online, one says to get a new power adapter, and one says that a button for the display settings may be stuck. I've not found someone who has had both problems (the ghost fiddling with the display settings plus the randomly powering on and off).

I'm not at a spot financially where I can just buy a new monitor, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Wingfoot201

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

Thanks! That looks exactly like my issue. I'll see if the solution works out for me.

G

I know this thread is quite old but it gave me the creeps "you woke up to a bright light" I would of pissed my self lmao

Wingfoot201

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

Okay, sorry for the really long delay, but I was finally able to get around to disassembling the monitor last night (it's been a crazy busy summer). It's a different model than the one discussed in the link (no screws, just had to remove the bevel). I should have had the presence of mind to take a picture of the interior, since it looked a bit more complex than the link's instructions make it out to be. When it says to disconnect the button panel, I really can't see how to do that. The wires to the button panel are soldered on, and the cord then runs under the metal frame of the interior and I can see no way to remove or disconnect it.
So I just cleaned the whole area of any dust and I pressed each button on the panel repeatedly to un-stick any stuck buttons. They all appear fine. I reassembled everything, and things are working well except occasionally the brightness tries to go up. At least it responds to me when I push the buttons now though. We'll see if it gets worse again.

G

How is it now? All good?

Wingfoot201

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

Surprisingly no issues since! It tried to turn up the brightness on its own the first time I reconnected it after cleaning the buttons, but since then it's not tried to do anything on its own. I still unplug it at night though, just in case, because I don't want to be waking up to any more bright blue lights =P

G

I asked because I woke up to a green light on my Asus VP228H I pissed my pants since I was home alone Lol]
what I did was turn it off unplug plug it in again nothing so far XD.