Possible Backspace or Motherboard Problems with Dell Inspi..

Status
Not open for further replies.

This Inspiron has a Phoenix BIOS. On boot, the computer beeps several
times, then goes into a DOS screen, which asks for normal boot or
alternatives. When normal boot is chosen, the boot process is fairly
normal. Odd things then occur. Sometimes the left half of the desktop
flashes- can be stopped by hitting a key. More recently, a section of
the keyboard became inoperative. An accessory keyboard cured the
problem.
MOST recently, on boot, the computer beeped continuously as if
it was going to continue indefinitely. Finally it stopped and it
booted but very slowly.
I have most of my hard drive backed up in anticipation of a
complete system failure. I also have a new laptop ready to go if
need be.
My question is this: Is the motherboard about to fail and are all
these problems likely related? I checked the BIOS beep codes
for Phoenix, and nothing much is mentioned about continuous
un-paused beeps.
Help much appreciated!
Frank
P.S. This doesn't seem like a virus problem to me. I run Norton
periodically but haven't in awhile. Will any known viruses cause
this kind of behavior? It sure looks like BIOS or hardware to me.

Of course I meant BIOS or motherboard problems....sorry

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:19:35 GMT, frank1492
<frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>This Inspiron has a Phoenix BIOS. On boot, the computer beeps several
>times, then goes into a DOS screen, which asks for normal boot or
>alternatives. When normal boot is chosen, the boot process is fairly
>normal. Odd things then occur. Sometimes the left half of the desktop
>flashes- can be stopped by hitting a key. More recently, a section of
>the keyboard became inoperative. An accessory keyboard cured the
>problem.
> MOST recently, on boot, the computer beeped continuously as if
>it was going to continue indefinitely. Finally it stopped and it
>booted but very slowly.
> I have most of my hard drive backed up in anticipation of a
>complete system failure. I also have a new laptop ready to go if
>need be.
> My question is this: Is the motherboard about to fail and are all
>these problems likely related? I checked the BIOS beep codes
>for Phoenix, and nothing much is mentioned about continuous
>un-paused beeps.
> Help much appreciated!
> Frank
> P.S. This doesn't seem like a virus problem to me. I run Norton
>periodically but haven't in awhile. Will any known viruses cause
>this kind of behavior? It sure looks like BIOS or hardware to me.

Dirk

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:19:35 +0000, frank1492 wrote:

> This Inspiron has a Phoenix BIOS. On boot, the computer beeps several
> times, then goes into a DOS screen, which asks for normal boot or
> alternatives. When normal boot is chosen, the boot process is fairly
> normal. Odd things then occur. Sometimes the left half of the desktop
> flashes- can be stopped by hitting a key. More recently, a section of
> the keyboard became inoperative. An accessory keyboard cured the
> problem.
> MOST recently, on boot, the computer beeped continuously as if
> it was going to continue indefinitely. Finally it stopped and it
> booted but very slowly.
> I have most of my hard drive backed up in anticipation of a
> complete system failure. I also have a new laptop ready to go if
> need be.
> My question is this: Is the motherboard about to fail and are all
> these problems likely related? I checked the BIOS beep codes
> for Phoenix, and nothing much is mentioned about continuous
> un-paused beeps.
> Help much appreciated!
> Frank
> P.S. This doesn't seem like a virus problem to me. I run Norton
> periodically but haven't in awhile. Will any known viruses cause
> this kind of behavior? It sure looks like BIOS or hardware to me.

With half of the screen flashing on and off sometimes, and half of the
keyboard not working other times, and combinations of the above, the first
thing I might wonder about is if the notebook had been dropped or severely
jostled recently and if maybe some cables (screen and keyboard, perhaps)
had been shaken loose. If you're not afraid to open it up, I'd check to
make sure that the connectors for the screen and keyboard to the mainboard
are firmly in place. At that it wouldn't hurt to check that everything,
from RAM to HDD are all seated firmly.

If this doesn't help, then yes, you may very well be looking at a bad
motherboard, given that two components unrelated to each other but both
connected to the motherboard have stopped working properly, the common
element is likely to be the problem.

-dirk

Thanks. No the computer was not jostled or dropped to my
knowledge.
I am using an accessory keyboard now and everything seems
normal, but earlier the accessory keyboard didn't work either.
It is interesting that some major problem always seems to
occur between 2.5-3 years into the life of my laptops. Two
previous Thinkpads had screen problems. That's why I switched
to Dell. This computer will be three years old in February!
Do you know if any studies have been done on people's
experiences regardng laptop life? One factor that may bear heavily on
my problems is that the laptop is my sole computer and therefore gets
heavy use.
In light of my exepriences it is probably best to go to a new
laptop as other things may start to occur.
Thanks again.
Frank
P.S. Could a bad keyboard alone possibly cause the symptoms
I have?

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:30:29 GMT, dirk <derekmullin@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:19:35 +0000, frank1492 wrote:
>
>> This Inspiron has a Phoenix BIOS. On boot, the computer beeps several
>> times, then goes into a DOS screen, which asks for normal boot or
>> alternatives. When normal boot is chosen, the boot process is fairly
>> normal. Odd things then occur. Sometimes the left half of the desktop
>> flashes- can be stopped by hitting a key. More recently, a section of
>> the keyboard became inoperative. An accessory keyboard cured the
>> problem.
>> MOST recently, on boot, the computer beeped continuously as if
>> it was going to continue indefinitely. Finally it stopped and it
>> booted but very slowly.
>> I have most of my hard drive backed up in anticipation of a
>> complete system failure. I also have a new laptop ready to go if
>> need be.
>> My question is this: Is the motherboard about to fail and are all
>> these problems likely related? I checked the BIOS beep codes
>> for Phoenix, and nothing much is mentioned about continuous
>> un-paused beeps.
>> Help much appreciated!
>> Frank
>> P.S. This doesn't seem like a virus problem to me. I run Norton
>> periodically but haven't in awhile. Will any known viruses cause
>> this kind of behavior? It sure looks like BIOS or hardware to me.
>
>With half of the screen flashing on and off sometimes, and half of the
>keyboard not working other times, and combinations of the above, the first
>thing I might wonder about is if the notebook had been dropped or severely
>jostled recently and if maybe some cables (screen and keyboard, perhaps)
>had been shaken loose. If you're not afraid to open it up, I'd check to
>make sure that the connectors for the screen and keyboard to the mainboard
>are firmly in place. At that it wouldn't hurt to check that everything,
>from RAM to HDD are all seated firmly.
>
>If this doesn't help, then yes, you may very well be looking at a bad
>motherboard, given that two components unrelated to each other but both
>connected to the motherboard have stopped working properly, the common
>element is likely to be the problem.
>
>-dirk

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:44:18 GMT, frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Thanks. No the computer was not jostled or dropped to my
>knowledge.
> I am using an accessory keyboard now and everything seems
>normal, but earlier the accessory keyboard didn't work either.
> It is interesting that some major problem always seems to
>occur between 2.5-3 years into the life of my laptops. Two
>previous Thinkpads had screen problems. That's why I switched
>to Dell. This computer will be three years old in February!

Wouldn't be the CMOS battery? While back I got hands on an old
Thinkpad (365X), tiny lithium button was flat. You can get
replacement keyboards, also, connections can go iffy over time,
a lot of 'refurbishment is simply reseating all the connectors.

Grant.