Possible bad GPU?

Jun 3, 2018
About a week ago, I tried upgrading my i3-6100 Skylake CPU with an i5-6500 of the same generation. I was unsuccessful. When I tried booting the system, nothing would happen. I made sure the CPU was seated properly and everything. Well, I got frustrated and said forget this, I'm sending it back. Well, I put my i3 back in the computer and ever since then. I have been having a lot of trouble. My pc would lock up and stutter. I remembered that I didn't reapply thermal paste, so I turned off the machine for a few days until I got the paste. I cleaned off the CPU and the Heatsink (Stock) and reset my PC. Fast forward a few days and though my PC is no longer locking up. I believe something has happened to my video card (EVGA GTX 950). I am only getting 20 fps in games like World of Warcraft on the lowest setting, where before I was getting 50-60+ on Ultra settings. Video playback seems to have a ripple effect and seems to lag. Dragging windows from one monitor to another causes screen lag and scrolling through browsers causes lag as well. It's driving me mad! I have tried a lot of different things including:

• Dusting out PC thoroughly with compressed air and a microfiber cloth
    Reseating components such as CPU, Video Card, Memory
    Completely uninstalling and reinstalling Video Card drivers. (Even uninstalled from Device Manager)
    Refreshed Windows.
    Prayed to any and all Gods (Even Kratos)

I am wit's end.

PC Specs:

• PC was built (by me) 2 years ago.
    i3-6100 Skylake CPU
    16GB PNY Vengeance RAM
    EVGA nVidia GTX 950 (Super Clock)
    1 TB WD HDD at 7200rpm.

Any help, thoughts, and prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas

Jun 3, 2018
Yeah, forgot to mention that - I switched to the onboard graphics to give it a try and it was laggy too. I expected that much though, it's intel integrated and only has 1024 shared, maybe 512 dedicated.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Then something else is going on. Try it with one stick of RAM and check the motherboard for bent pins. It seems more likely something else is defective or you damaged something when installing the i5 CPU. You should *not* be having trouble with video playback on an integrated GPU.

Jun 3, 2018

Yeah. It's pretty odd. On the graphics card, video playback is glitchy - you see a lot of tearing and artifacts.

Jun 3, 2018

Interestingly enough, when I went to reapply the thermal paste, I think the cooler came off too easy, it may not have been on their properly but I made sure to secure it when I put the paste on.

Also, do you know of any temp monitor? And I am not sure the range in temperature they should be operating under "normally."

Here's a video showing how an Intel stock cooler should be installed, and what to look for to make sure all the pushpins are properly in place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qczGR4KMnY

You might try a utility like HWMonitor to check your CPU temperature...

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

While the utility is running, use an application or game that puts a heavy load on the CPU. Generally, with that processor, you might see temperatures in the 30s at idle (Celsius), and probably in the 60s or below under load. If they get significantly higher than that under load, there might be a problem.

Jun 3, 2018

Hey,

I ran the software and played a couple of games. While still choppy and practically unplayable, the temps of my CPU did not rise above 50 celsius and my graphics card was in late 60s early 70s.

From my own personal experience, whenever you change either the motherboard or CPU, you need to do a clean install of the OS, otherwise things just don't work like they should. I know you've gone back to your old CPU, but it's very possible your OS got screwed up by the change of hardware.

From the sound of it, he didn't even get the system to boot with the other processor though, so I kind of doubt it would have affected the OS, if he's on the original hardware and drivers weren't changed or anything.

Yeah, probably right. If not the OS then maybe the BIOS settings, clearing the CMOS wouldn't hurt.

Either your motherboard will have two pins mark as "CMOS clear" and you use a metal object, like a screwdriver or something, to make contact between the two. Or, take the battery out for a few minutes.

Jun 3, 2018
So I successfully reset the CMOS by touching the two metal prongs with my screwdriver. However, I am still experiencing trouble with I believe is my video card. The games are still choppy. What should I do next?