devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016
First of all, specs:
Gigabyte Windforce OC 1070
i5 6600k @4.5GHz
16gb ddr4 @2400mhz
Gigabyte Z170 HD3P

So, on the the story. Over the past 6 months I've had about 3 headsets die, all started off with sometimes not working in the right ear, then not working on the right side at all. They were all the exact same model and cheap so i assumed they were just low quality.
Recently i picked up a HyperX Cloud Core which was working well for a month but a few days ago it started to have a weird popping noise. First I checked the cable to see if it that is the faulty part, which it still may be, because the popping only happens when i'm moving around. (I think it's also important to mention that I use both included cables because i don't have a joint mic and speaker port on my Mobo.)
Could this issue be because of a bad sound card or is my headset faulty? How do i check this?
Furthermore if the issue does originate from my sound chip what is a good PCI-E replacement?

UPDATE
I reinstalled audio drivers to no avail, tested the joint jack on my phone and it worked fine and lastly i tested some generic in ear headphones on my PC and they worked as well.That means that the issue definitely is with the jack splitter (aka lower half of the cable).

Solution
Those symptoms also could be caused by a loose connection in the socket you plug your headphones into. Try plugging into another socket. For example, of you are using the socket on the case front, plug into the rear panel socket for front speakers (usually green) and see if you still have the problem.
Try reinstalling the sound drivers for your motherboard.
In the past, I have had similar issues which were resolved by reinstalling the motherboard chipset sound drivers.

As to a discrete sound card, I have no idea.
Go to newegg and check out the reviews by actual owners.
In particular look at the 0 or 1 lower rated reviews to see if they indicate a product fault or just user error.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Those symptoms also could be caused by a loose connection in the socket you plug your headphones into. Try plugging into another socket. For example, of you are using the socket on the case front, plug into the rear panel socket for front speakers (usually green) and see if you still have the problem.

Solution

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Further to the above, are you using the case headphone jack, this might also be the issue. If are thinking of getting an external soundcard. Maybe consider an external DAC instead (They are basically soundcards in a case). And they can be cheaper than an internal soundcard. If your motherboard has sound optical output I recommend a smsl m3 DAC. I have one and a run a 192khz sound signal (via optical) to it. A DAC basically bypasses the motherboards sound processing. With good headphone a DAC via optical is the way to go.

devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016

Driver reinstall did not solve the issue.

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Use a DAC

TRENDING THREADS