[SOLVED] Possible bad SSD?

cruuds3027

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018
Hey everyone,

As of recently I've been having an issue with my PC restarting completely at random. No error codes, no blue screen, just totally restarts at random. It wasn't until last night that I realized it was a drive issue. I don't exactly know what the problem is as I've never had this happen before but I can explain what happened.

Note: The drive at question is a Western Digital Black 1TB NVMe SSD. It is not the drive that stores Windows 10.

Long story kinda short, I had changed the PSU in my desktop a few days ago because it was having a power issue and shutting off completely. Now it's just restarting at random. Not a complete shutdown, just random reboots at any moment. This would happen both in game and at desktop screen. It wasn't until last night that it had done it again, and when I had logged back into my desktop, it threw a message saying my hardware has changed, and after going to device manager it showed that my Black drive had some sort of issue. After a few minutes, any errors went away, but 3 games on that drive were removed, but just the .exe . But there are two other games that weren't touched and we're fine.

Another side note, I checked Event viewer and any time my computer did restart there was a critical "kernel-power" event.

Ever since those .exe files were deleted off that drive it did not restart after that. So bottom line my question is, is the drive bad? Is it a
Windows 10 issue? Or is it just a fluke thing?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated as I have never seen this before and I'm not sure if it's something I should look into more. Thank you :)

Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Look in Reliability History for more information - timeline and general format is much more user friendly.

===========

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Visually and physically check (by sight and feel) that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Over time such connections creep loose as the system warms and cools leading to movement via expansion and contraction.

Also check the wires going into the connectors. Wiggle gently - none should be loose.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Look in Reliability History for more information - timeline and general format is much more user friendly.

===========

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Visually and physically check (by sight and feel) that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Over time such connections creep loose as the system warms and cools leading to movement via expansion and contraction.

Also check the wires going into the connectors. Wiggle gently - none should be loose.

Solution