[SOLVED] possible bad thermal paste and pads?

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
hello everyone. so about 4 months ago i got an asus gtx 1660ti dual which is pretty bad and i dont recommend asus to anyone anymore. so the problem is when i get into some gaming the temperature easily goes up to 87 degrees and gpu starts to throttle and when i set the fan curve to 70% the fans become very loud and temps go down like 7 degrees at most.
and this gpu is not even power hungry so i dont know why its so freaking hot. i did some research and people were telling that changing the thermal pad and paste helpd reducing temps i want know if thats true and what pads should (thickness)

Solution
That's not unusual for a GPU, they run hot, the throttle temp is 95C. If you want to know about pads, ask the people that told you, my advice would be to not do it, I doubt it'll make much difference, and we regularly see people who have repasted GPU's and have trouble afterwards. All of my nvidias since my 8800GTX and before have run around 80, sounds like your case might be a little starved of air possibly.
That's not unusual for a GPU, they run hot, the throttle temp is 95C. If you want to know about pads, ask the people that told you, my advice would be to not do it, I doubt it'll make much difference, and we regularly see people who have repasted GPU's and have trouble afterwards. All of my nvidias since my 8800GTX and before have run around 80, sounds like your case might be a little starved of air possibly.

Solution

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
so its not possible that some pads might be missing and its not worth looking into? even if i do everything correctly there is still a chance i might damage something?