[SOLVED] Possible battery failure

Greetings fellow forum hunters,

My laptop randomly shut off while idle on the desktop and does not turn back on anymore. The battery was almost fully charged (was charging) when it just shutdown and now every time I press the power button the keyboard LED's light up for a second and then it all shuts off again. I let it sit for a day and now pressing the power button does nothing, not even turn on the keyboard lights for that split-second.

When I plug the charger back in, the orange light is solid for 2 seconds than starts blinking. When I press the power button I can see the keyboard LED lights flicker for a second again, but still doesn't bootup. Is the battery dead?

Acer predator Helios 300
Model: G3-571-768G

I've opened the laptop before to reapply the thermal paste and clean out the dust but it worked for many months after with no issues, better than before in-fact. Also my AC charger got cut a little on the thin section of the wire (the part that comes out the adapter then into the laptop), some of the internal silver wiring was cut a little but it still charged no problem for months. I covered it with electric tape for safety reasons, I know it doesn't fix the wires. Perhaps that caused the abrupt battery failure?

I'm not hesitant to buy a new battery, I'm leaning on that being the issue, just want a second opinion.

Solution
The only way to know for sure is to remove the battery and try to run off the AC adapter. I would also replace the AC adapter ASAP as a cut as you explained can cause a short and/or failure of the AC adapter. You didn't say how long you have had the Laptop, but after two or three years, it's not unusual to have to replace a laptop battery.
The only way to know for sure is to remove the battery and try to run off the AC adapter. I would also replace the AC adapter ASAP as a cut as you explained can cause a short and/or failure of the AC adapter. You didn't say how long you have had the Laptop, but after two or three years, it's not unusual to have to replace a laptop battery.

Solution

It's about 2 years old, I wanted to try running off the AC adapter but with that cut I knew it'd be risky. But thanks for your input.