Possible Boot Sector virus: what to do?

I built a series of PC's for a friend of mine, and now two of them are
non-op. All three run from the same router (though I havent been able
to network them properly (silly me) and run XP Pro, and Norton
Antivirus. one is used by a net-savvy kid,and the other is used to
publish a magazine. both units give the same smptoms: the inability to
boot to the harddrive (and the CD-ROM) while I believe a Boot sector
virus is to blame to this I need to know the surest way to kill this
menace one and for all. Please help

Toon

Philo

"ToonRunner" <ryosaeba@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
> I built a series of PC's for a friend of mine, and now two of them are
> non-op. All three run from the same router (though I havent been able
> to network them properly (silly me) and run XP Pro, and Norton
> Antivirus. one is used by a net-savvy kid,and the other is used to
> publish a magazine. both units give the same smptoms: the inability to
> boot to the harddrive (and the CD-ROM) while I believe a Boot sector
> virus is to blame to this I need to know the surest way to kill this
> menace one and for all. Please help
>
> Toon

boot with the XP cd and from the recovery console
isse the command: fixmbr

On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:45:12 GMT, ToonRunner <ryosaeba@bellatlantic.net>
wrote:

>I built a series of PC's for a friend of mine, and now two of them are
>non-op. All three run from the same router (though I havent been able
>to network them properly (silly me) and run XP Pro, and Norton
>Antivirus. one is used by a net-savvy kid,and the other is used to
>publish a magazine. both units give the same smptoms: the inability to
>boot to the harddrive (and the CD-ROM) while I believe a Boot sector
>virus is to blame to this I need to know the surest way to kill this
>menace one and for all. Please help
>
>Toon

Unplug the hard drive, then boot from a pressed CDROM (not a CDR that
might be subject to infection). If it still won't work it has nothing to
do with a boot sector virus, but you shouldn't even have to unplug the HDD
to confirm this, simply selecting to boot from CDROM should be sufficient.