Motherboard : Asus prime b360-plus
RAM: XLR8 2666hz 2x8GB
CPU: i5-9600kf
PSU: Gigabyte 750 gold
Memory: Samsung 970 evo plus nvme M.2 SSD 500GB
GPU: currently rx570 4gb later im planing to buy rtx 2070 super

what you guys think about this build

Solution
ive been told that its better to save up for better gpu rather than buying expensive motherboards to overclock cpu

It depends what you want to do with the machine.... For competitive online shooters (e.g. CSGO) players typically want very high frame rates and play on low graphics settings. In that situation the clock speed of the cpu is important as even a mid range gpu is more than fast enough and it's the cpu that matters more. I notice you have a 240hz screen.... If you want to hit 240 fps you will need a fast cpu. Typically you want an Intel chip overclocked to 5ghz with some fast ram to achieve that.

That said, if you are the type of player who likes to turn on an the graphics options to ultra for best visuals and...
im planing to build my medium-high end pc
Motherboard : Asus prime b360-plus
RAM: XLR8 2666hz 2x8GB
CPU: i5-9600kf
PSU: Gigabyte 750 gold
Memory: Samsung 970 evo plus nvme M.2 SSD 500GB
GPU: currently rx570 4gb later im planing to buy rtx 2070 super

what you guys think about this build

That build should run games well enough, although I am curious why are you going for a 9600kf? It's not a bad gaming cpu, but at stock speed (as you cannot overclock on a b360 motherboard) it's a bit behind the latest gear. I guess it would be worth it if you are getting it at a really good price, if you are paying full new price for this though you would be much better off going with an AMD Ryzen build - either something like a 2600 or the newer 3600 as these cpu's usually cost a similar amount to the 9600kf but have double the thread count and can be overclocked on a B450 or B550 chipset motherboard.

If you want to go Intel, then you are better looking at a 10th gen part as Intel has enabled hyperthreading on all 10th gen cpu's. If you do go with the 9600kf, try getting a Z series motherboard for it if possible as at least that way you have the option to overclock the 9600kf to 5ghz, which will give you great gaming performance in titles that don't worry too much about thread counts.

mexashe

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
im not like streaming or multitasking all i want to do is games. ive been told its better to save money for better gpu like rtx 2070 super or something similar to this

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What are the specs of your monitor?
  • resolution?
  • refresh rate?
  • does it have GSync, FreeSync, or neither?

Also, ignore bottleneck calculator sites, and ignore anyone who insists that you have to worry about some kind of "bottleneck" if you don't perfectly match a CPU to a GPU. That whole concept of an ideal CPU-to-GPU match is a myth. Monitor specs and which specific games you're playing are the key factors.

im not like streaming or multitasking all i want to do is games. ive been told its better to save money for better gpu like rtx 2070 super or something similar to this

I agree this is a good idea - as King V says would help to know what your target is in terms of screen, refresh rate and such as well as type of game.

I'm not suggesting you spend too much on the cpu - as I mentioned the 9600K would be fine if you get a good deal.... at it's usual price though it's not generally considered a good buy price vs performance. The AMD Ryzen processors typically offer better value, and are typically as fast or faster than the 9600K (unless you overclock it - which requires a more expensive motherboard).

The best gaming cpu's at the moment value wise would be the Ryzen 3 3300X which is pretty cheap. The older Ryzen 5 2600 is also worth looking at for similar money - won't hit as high frame rates in competitive games like CS:GO at low settings but offers a bit more cpu muscle if you ever use your machine for non gaming tasks.

The only thing I would say - GPU wise it's probably worth holding off buying for a bit (from what you are saying you are going to keep the RX 570 for a while - I think that is a good idea). There are new GPU's due from both nVidia and AMD which will be faster than the current options, once they are announced there are likely to be some good deals on the current cards as well.

Reactions: King_V and mexashe

mexashe

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
What are the specs of your monitor?
  • resolution?
  • refresh rate?
  • does it have GSync, FreeSync, or neither?
Also, ignore bottleneck calculator sites, and ignore anyone who insists that you have to worry about some kind of "bottleneck" if you don't perfectly match a CPU to a GPU. That whole concept of an ideal CPU-to-GPU match is a myth. Monitor specs and which specific games you're playing are the key factors.
240hz
1920x1080
with gysnc

mexashe

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
I agree this is a good idea - as King V says would help to know what your target is in terms of screen, refresh rate and such as well as type of game.

I'm not suggesting you spend too much on the cpu - as I mentioned the 9600K would be fine if you get a good deal.... at it's usual price though it's not generally considered a good buy price vs performance. The AMD Ryzen processors typically offer better value, and are typically as fast or faster than the 9600K (unless you overclock it - which requires a more expensive motherboard).

The best gaming cpu's at the moment value wise would be the Ryzen 3 3300X which is pretty cheap. The older Ryzen 5 2600 is also worth looking at for similar money - won't hit as high frame rates in competitive games like CS:GO at low settings but offers a bit more cpu muscle if you ever use your machine for non gaming tasks.

The only thing I would say - GPU wise it's probably worth holding off buying for a bit (from what you are saying you are going to keep the RX 570 for a while - I think that is a good idea). There are new GPU's due from both nVidia and AMD which will be faster than the current options, once they are announced there are likely to be some good deals on the current cards as well.
yeah , but do i get value from overclocking cpu? also should i wait till like september before buying new video card?

ive been told that its better to save up for better gpu rather than buying expensive motherboards to overclock cpu

It depends what you want to do with the machine.... For competitive online shooters (e.g. CSGO) players typically want very high frame rates and play on low graphics settings. In that situation the clock speed of the cpu is important as even a mid range gpu is more than fast enough and it's the cpu that matters more. I notice you have a 240hz screen.... If you want to hit 240 fps you will need a fast cpu. Typically you want an Intel chip overclocked to 5ghz with some fast ram to achieve that.

That said, if you are the type of player who likes to turn on an the graphics options to ultra for best visuals and you're not worried about hitting extreme fps (so long as the game is smooth), then you don't need to worry about cpu speed much as the gpu will be the fps limit before the cpu. In that case a faster gpu will give more performance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS