Possible bottleneck with a GTX 980, im not sure please help!!!!

bluecobrakai

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Hi i recently upgraded my ageing system. From videos by Linus tech tips, tek syndicate and Jayztwocents i thought that on the whole the GPU would determine the line share of a systems in game performance and that a CPU and RAM would only have to meet basic requirements to allow a card to flourish. Here is my old system:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 at base clock of 4.00GHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat spreader (8GB at 2x4GB rated for 1600MHz)
GPU: Power color AMD radeon R9 270X
MOBO: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD 60G
PSU: 600 Watts Corsair CX600 Gaming power supply

I was generally happy with its performance but decided that i wanted to move into the deep end in terms of 60fps+ at 1920x1080 max settings on 80% of games so i decided to purchase a Gigabyte windforce 3X GTX 980 (Not the G1 just the standard windforce)

Im concerned as to if these are ok scores: (read below :))

3DMARK firestrike 1.1 (Standard 1920x1080): 8479

Unigine Heaven 1920x1080 ULTRA quality, extreme tessellation and full 8xAA fullscreen:
Score was 1536
FPS: 61.0
MIN FPS: 16.8
MAX FPS: 127.5

Unigine Valley 1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen Extreme HD preset (direct3D11)
Score was 2245
FPS: 53.7
MIN FPS: 15.6
MAX FPS: 105.7

Ill be so grateful for your thoughts, if you think there is an issue or spot a problem please inform me :)

Solution
The Seidon 120V will do the job fine, your mobo with its poor 4+1 Phase Regulators might become a limit in your OC capabilities, only trying you will find out.

As for the FPS... overall look fine, but as mentioned before you could improve those min fps considerably if you manage a nice OC on your CPU.
I see two possible issues there, your PSU, the CX series are built with low quality components so is very likely your GPU isn't getting enough power to work at its full potential, also your CPU will bottleneck your GPU, so try to OC it as much as you can, its impact will be most noticeable in your min fps.

In order to OC it properly you'll need a good aftermarket cooler and again a better PSU.

bluecobrakai

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

Yes i have, ive had the card since April 9th games like Battle field hardline on the capaign average around 90-120 fps sometimes higher and sometimes lower, crysis generally runs around 60fps to 80fps maxed at 1080p without AA same with all my actual games (i can feel AA input lag) csgo obviously doesnt tax it at all at just stays at around 220fps, Tombraider benchmarks around 100fps

bluecobrakai

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

Thanks for the reply, you clearly know your stuff, just from your experience would such issues that you suggested be enough to cause this kind of bottleneck, and currently i use the corsair seidon 120m cooler for my cpu will that give me enough over clocking headroom?

The Seidon 120V will do the job fine, your mobo with its poor 4+1 Phase Regulators might become a limit in your OC capabilities, only trying you will find out.

As for the FPS... overall look fine, but as mentioned before you could improve those min fps considerably if you manage a nice OC on your CPU.

Solution