[SOLVED] Possible bottleneck with i5-2500k 1060 3gb

raydeon

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I5-2500k with a 1060 3gb is the setup I'm playing battlefield 1 with. 50-75 average FPS. However, my 2500k is constantly running at 80-100% with the 1060 averaging at around 70-80% throughout multiplayer session (64 players ).

I know the system is old but I have other priorities to spend cash on. So instead of replacing the whole system I'm wondering :

Would just changing the 1060 3gb to a RX580 8gb help? I have a freesync monitor.

I'm guessing (ain't no pro) since the GPU isn't running at 100% while the CPU is constantly on 80-100%, changing the gpu probably won't help?

Thx for any feedbacks.

Solution
There shouldn't really be a bottleneck there. The 2500K is a good chip to pair the 1060 3GB with. My guess is that in a multiplayer match there is just a lot of stuff that the CPU needs to keep track of. So, for the vast majority of games this setup is fine. You've just managed to find a case where the CPU has to work a lot harder than the GPU.

Going to a better GPU isn't going to solve the CPU being the bottleneck. Going to a worse GPU or increasing the graphics settings would force the bottleneck back onto the GPU but lower your frame rates. I think it might be time to start looking at either overclocking your CPU or replacing it with something more capable. The 2500K isn't a bad CPU, but even in the mid range the i5 8400 (25%...

InvalidError

Titan
Upgrading the GPU won't help with a CPU bottleneck, though freesync may improve feel a little. BF1 is more heavily threaded than typical games, so you may want to consider getting an i7-2600k or i7-3770k instead if your motherboard supports Ivy Bridge CPUs and you can find one for a reasonable price.

There shouldn't really be a bottleneck there. The 2500K is a good chip to pair the 1060 3GB with. My guess is that in a multiplayer match there is just a lot of stuff that the CPU needs to keep track of. So, for the vast majority of games this setup is fine. You've just managed to find a case where the CPU has to work a lot harder than the GPU.

Going to a better GPU isn't going to solve the CPU being the bottleneck. Going to a worse GPU or increasing the graphics settings would force the bottleneck back onto the GPU but lower your frame rates. I think it might be time to start looking at either overclocking your CPU or replacing it with something more capable. The 2500K isn't a bad CPU, but even in the mid range the i5 8400 (25% faster) or the Ryzen 2600 (23% faster) are significantly faster nowadays. Your other option is to find an i7 2600K to drop into your board and hope it is a question of threads and not of age.

Solution