[SOLVED] Possible bottleneck

SteeloMusic

Reputable
Feb 28, 2016
Goodday to you all !

I've been playing a fair amount of Anthem, and today i decided to upgrade my system.

I had:
Intel core i7 7700
GTX 1060 6GB
8GB DDR4 2133
MSI b150M bazooka motherboard

Right now:
intel core i7 7700
RTX 2070
16GB DDR4 @ 2133
MSI b150M Bazooka,

My Question:

With the old setup everything was running maxed out ( GPU/CPU )
With my current setup i see my CPU 100% and my GPU is chilling 70-80, and SOMETIMES it spikes up to 98, then goes back down to around the 80s

Tested:
FPS does not change ALOT when going from 1080p to 1440p ( DSR, cause my monitor is 1080p 144hz )

In battlefield V & Anthem it's the same situation.

FPS drops on Anthem sometimes & when it happens i see my GPU usage drop down to 30-40% then it goes back up to 70-80 and all is fine again.

What is the issue here ?
i am kind of bummed out that i just invested 800 Euro for a new GPU/RAM/PSU and this is the result.

Hope someone can help me determine what the issue is & I HOPE it's not a bottleneck. ( it shouldn't be ? right ? )

Solution
Of course it depends, but seems as bottleneck. Just a few minutes ago watched video about almost the same build as yours, and (the guy tested some SLI cards together under exactly Intel Core I7 7700, don't remember the mobo, other specs the same) he found the same kind of problem. His final verdict at the end of his video was that under this CPU type it's hard to obtain very stable fps at high stakes in your build. He suggested that more powerful CPU should be used to see full potential. According to his experiments, his advice is to have more than i7 7700 to make powerfull SLI or to view the full potential of a card like yours. Tested SLI GPU's (both of 'em) in his video was similar in...

SteeloMusic

Reputable
Feb 28, 2016
Your CPU is still good, How is it playing? You do not mention stutter and so on only GPU and CPU usage.
There is no stutter only when a heavy frame drop occurs and my GPU suddenly decides to drop to 30-40% usage, for the rest of it i get 70+ fps on all ultra and on medium - ultra balanced settings i get around 70-110

Feb 18, 2019
Of course it depends, but seems as bottleneck. Just a few minutes ago watched video about almost the same build as yours, and (the guy tested some SLI cards together under exactly Intel Core I7 7700, don't remember the mobo, other specs the same) he found the same kind of problem. His final verdict at the end of his video was that under this CPU type it's hard to obtain very stable fps at high stakes in your build. He suggested that more powerful CPU should be used to see full potential. According to his experiments, his advice is to have more than i7 7700 to make powerfull SLI or to view the full potential of a card like yours. Tested SLI GPU's (both of 'em) in his video was similar in specs with your ONE RTX 2070.

Solution

SteeloMusic

Reputable
Feb 28, 2016
Of course it depends, but seems as bottleneck. Just a few minutes ago watched video about almost the same build as yours, and (the guy tested some SLI cards together under exactly Intel Core I7 7700, don't remember the mobo, other specs the same) he found the same kind of problem. His final verdict at the end of his video was that under this CPU type it's hard to obtain very stable fps at high stakes in your build. He suggested that more powerful CPU should be used to see full potential. According to his experiments, his advice is to have more than i7 7700 to make powerfull SLI or to view the full potential of a card like yours. Tested SLI GPU's (both of 'em) in his video was similar in specs with your ONE RTX 2070.
i know that the actual "Recommended" CPU for this GPU is i7 8700k, yet, i believe, testing an i7 7700 for SLI capabilities is a lot more strainig on the CPU then 1 single card is, so yes, a bottleneck will happen in SLI, but it shouldn't be happening with a single card, i've seen people over the internet with i5's and my card without a bottleneck, i've seen testing of a 4790k running a 2080 which did not get bottlenecked, there's all these factors that tell me i should not be bottlenecked, yet when looking at the numbers i feel like that is exactly what is happening

Feb 18, 2019
yet when looking at the numbers i feel like that is exactly what is happening ...
And I think you are right. The problem with those internet videos is that sometimes they show simply impossible things (Core 2 Duo with GT1030 without bottleneck for instance)))), or "forget" to mention some bugs and artifacts in the final build, so, if you can test your RTX 2070 somewere else (on a friends' rig for example) that should be one good experiment to have a statement "Recommended" CPU for this GPU is i7 8700k - approved or not. Without this, u can only try to overclock your CPU, but I doubt it'll be of some serious help. So, try a friends' PC and upgrading your current CPU in future. Your build is very good.

The 2070 is a good 1440P card. Almost all CPU's can become a bottleneck for the card if resolution and in game details too low. The reason some hardware sites test CPU in game performance at 1080P with a high end card, to get meaningful difference between CPUs.

Feb 18, 2019
The 2070 is a good 1440P card. Almost all CPU's can become a bottleneck for the card if resolution and in game details too low. The reason some hardware sites test CPU in game performance at 1080P with a high end card, to get meaningful difference between CPUs.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, also think so.