[SOLVED] Possible breakdown on Raid 0 causing a lot of bsod?

Jan 9, 2021
Sup guys..
I'm a new registered user on this forum but i thinks it's a safe place to ask a question like this.
After searching a lot, i could not find a especific answer to this trouble that is running for some time now.

Ok, my build is up to date, but yet it can handle basically all the new games on high/max settings.

• Intel i7 4770 - 3.4GHz 4º gen
  • Gigabyte Z87-HD3 LGA 1150
  • Corsair 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1600
  • Corsair CX750w PS
  • Corsair H100i v1 WC
  • Gigabyte RTX 2070 STD
  • Kingston 2x120GB SSD @ RAID 0 (running OS)
  • Seagate 1TB @ 7200rpm HDD (games and etc)
  • Seagate 1TB @ 5400rpm HDD (games and etc)
  • Windows 10 Pro OS
I've built it on 2014 with a AMD R9-280X on it.. Last year the radeon stopped and i made the upgrade to the rtx.
With the AMD i had some random bsod some times running heaviest games and some times on idle.
Nowadays the frequence is bigger and i can't find out what is making this happen.

I have my doubts about the Raid 0. Both the SSDs are the most basical version. The bsod code is always different from each other, so its not a specifically issue, think.
It can be the CPU? (I give it low chances to be)
Memories.... My pc always lived on AC rooms, so i always had problems with oxidation and some times the system not recognizing all the memories together. But, i think if it would be memory, after the bsod restart, the system would accuse some error?

Yes, i've already reinstalled OS, check updates and everything. Only the Bios i do not have updated.

If you guys have some idea of what i can be experiencing, let me know. I can make some tests and return!

Last edited:
Solution
Is it two Kingston A400 120gb SSD.
Raid 0 + SSD? Why? Nowadays, don't make much sense, i agree.
And yes, OS on Raid 0, running games from HDDs most of the time. Is it bad to hear it or not?
RAID 0 was never meant to be an OS drive/volume. It was originally built around the concept of having a large fast data space. The OS drive was a whole different volume and physical drive.

RAID 0 + SSD never made sense from the first day solid state drives were produced.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

RealBeast

Titan
Run the free version of MEMTEST86 to test your memory first.

RAID 0 really is not a good idea for SSDs and if they are having issues the best way to attempt repair is to secure erase each -- this will delete all information from them though.

I would NOT update the bios while the machine is unstable, as it is not a bios issue and a BSOD during a bios update would kill your motherboard (CMOS chap).

Jan 9, 2021
Run the free version of MEMTEST86 to test your memory first.

RAID 0 really is not a good idea for SSDs and if they are having issues the best way to attempt repair is to secure erase each -- this will delete all information from them though.

I would NOT update the bios while the machine is unstable, as it is not a bios issue and a BSOD during a bios update would kill your motherboard (CMOS chap).

I'm running with SSDs on raid 0 since 2018. I can assume that before that it was difficult to see a BSOD. But when i installed them on this config, the system was stable for a long time.
I've already heard that Raid 0 can be bad for the SSD, because it is always running on its limit. But i can't confirm if that is true.

Yes, i have some mistrust to update the bios and get a game over. As it is an old build, If my mobo die, basically i'll lost the pc.

I had run windows memory check sometimes and it never shows any error. But i'll give a try to this one.

Jan 9, 2021
Which specific Kingston 120GB devices?
RAID 0 + SSD? Why?
RAID 0 with the OS? Bad idea.
And yes, OS on Raid 0, running games from HDDs most of the time. Is it bad to hear it or not?

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 0 was never meant to be an OS drive/volume. It was originally built around the concept of having a large fast data space. The OS drive was a whole different volume and physical drive.

RAID 0 + SSD never made sense from the first day solid state drives were produced.

Reactions: [Chieff]
Solution
Jan 9, 2021

Good to know! In my country, the RAID 0 on SSDs was pretty much well spoken because of the speed, and when its showed what it is on theory, everybody can agree lol
I firstly bought 1 SSD, installed OS and runned fast af for some days until the other SSD had arrived. I made the RAID 0 and i think i didn't got 1 or 2 secs of difference faster when starting OS.
I'm starting to think that i should dissolve the RAID 0 and make some tests for a few days..

USAFRet

Titan
Good to know! In my country, the RAID 0 on SSDs was pretty much well spoken because of the speed, and when its showed what it is on theory, everybody can agree lol
I firstly bought 1 SSD, installed OS and runned fast af for some days until the other SSD had arrived. I made the RAID 0 and i think i didn't got 1 or 2 secs of difference faster when starting OS.
I'm starting to think that i should dissolve the RAID 0 and make some tests for a few days..
Yep.
In theory, it sounds great. After all, with spinning HDD, there was a significant boost (in the right use case).
Everyone assuming that this same benefit translates into SSD.

And the artificial benchmarks look huge.

It does not work as well as it is assumed.

Reactions: [Chieff]
Jan 9, 2021
Yep.
In theory, it sounds great. After all, with spinning HDD, there was a significant boost (in the right use case).
Everyone assuming that this same benefit translates into SSD.

And the artificial benchmarks look huge.

It does not work as well as it is assumed.

Yes, I'm think i'll undo the Raid 0 and run OS in just one device.
Now I should look for a bigger SSD lol

Jan 9, 2021
SSD prices have come down a LOT in the last couple of years.

For sure. There are more options with more advantages, like the m.2 . Unfortunatly my mobo doesn't have m.2 slots, so I should look for a SSD.
I think i could use a Pci-E model, but i think the prices doesn't worths for my machine.

USAFRet

Titan
For sure. There are more options with more advantages, like the m.2 . Unfortunatly my mobo doesn't have m.2 slots, so I should look for a SSD.
I think i could use a Pci-E model, but i think the prices doesn't worths for my machine.
On that Z87 motherboard, don't even think about an M.2 NVMe drive. Or even a SATA III M.2

Just get a reasonable quality SATA III SSD, 2.5" format.

TRENDING THREADS