Question Possible Broken CPU Pin / AM4 Socket Issue (PLEASE HELP)

Apr 21, 2020
I have been having a multitude of problems since building my first PC, and I now have encountered a problem with my CPU/Socket. I have attached images on the post, and there is a pin on the CPU that looks dark and possibly very slightly bent. And the CPU Socket looks like there is something inside of it? I really am not sure. IT is on the top left portion of the CPU/Socket where the intended arrow is for installing. This happened after an incident I had while changing out the motherboard. I had to purchase a new motherboard since the other was faulty, and when I unscrewed the stock AMD Wraith Stealth to remove it and take the processor out, I had accidentally unscrewed too much on one side of the cooler and it popped up on one side. After completely unscrewing, I found that the processor came out of the socket and was attached to the cooler with the pre-applied thermal paste. Please help me figure out if this is a real issue, or if there is an easy fix to it.

View: https://imgur.com/a/dHf1dBk

View: https://imgur.com/a/Kx1poYk

View: https://imgur.com/a/UL8nhEf

View: https://imgur.com/a/YedtAeG

Components:
Ryzen 5 1600 AF
- Stock Wraith Stealth Cooler
MSI B450 Tomahawk
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA GTX 1650 SUPER SC ULTRA
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
EVGA 600W BR
NZXT H510

Apr 21, 2020
I have no idea what could have caused the discoloration. This CPU and motherboard are both brand new and I have never actually gotten the system to boot due to a DRAM issue that the motherboard is calling out (MSI B450 Tomahawk EZ Debug LED). So I would have to assume that the discoloration would have to do with the situation with the CPU being pulled out of the socket. What should I do about the Socket? It almost looks like there is something inside of it, should I try to clear it out? or let it be?

I have been having a multitude of problems since building my first PC, and I now have encountered a problem with my CPU/Socket. I have attached images on the post, and there is a pin on the CPU that looks dark and possibly very slightly bent. And the CPU Socket looks like there is something inside of it? I really am not sure. IT is on the top left portion of the CPU/Socket where the intended arrow is for installing. This happened after an incident I had while changing out the motherboard. I had to purchase a new motherboard since the other was faulty, and when I unscrewed the stock AMD Wraith Stealth to remove it and take the processor out, I had accidentally unscrewed too much on one side of the cooler and it popped up on one side. After completely unscrewing, I found that the processor came out of the socket and was attached to the cooler with the pre-applied thermal paste. Please help me figure out if this is a real issue, or if there is an easy fix to it.
I personally wouldn't trust the PSU, motherboard and CPU now. That pin looks like it will break if you try to do anything to it. The DRAM light being on is probably because of that corroded pin on the CPU. It looks like something got over volted.

If you are on your second motherboard, but haven't changed the PSU, I would blame the PSU for being faulty. The PSU likely damaged the motherboard and the CPU. You are probably going to have to RMA the PSU, motherboard and the CPU and hope you can get replacements.

Apr 21, 2020
Remind me to never try to build a PC again. I just attempted to slightly adjust the pin and it came out of the CPU as soon as I touched it. Is there any reason to try putting the CPU back in and hoping that pin wasn't necessary?

Apr 21, 2020
I really don't know what to do. I am so frustrated with everything about this. On my previous motherboard, I was getting no signal at all from it and I have a feeling that it was dead on arrival. I drove an hour and a half yesterday to pick up this motherboard and now. The power supply is powering the fans throughout the case, what would cause the power supply to overvolt something?

I really don't know what to do. I am so frustrated with everything about this. On my previous motherboard, I was getting no signal at all from it and I have a feeling that it was dead on arrival. I drove an hour and a half yesterday to pick up this motherboard and now. The power supply is powering the fans throughout the case, what would cause the power supply to overvolt something?
Adjusting the heat-sink likely didn't cause the issue. more than one pin would be bent if you messed up the heat-sink. It's still possible that the pin was just out of alignment enoguh to cause an issue, but I think it's more likely your PSU is faulty since you had a DOA motherboard already with the same PSU.

The power supply is also brand new, do you think this is a situation where I could get it replaced?
Honestly, it's hard to know what part is at fault. If you RMA everything, you might at least find out which part was likely at fault. You don't normally see a CPU take damage like yours did unless there were a problem with the motherboard or the PSU. Since the motherboard was a replacement, it's possible the CPU was defective from the beginning.

It's probably better and cheaper in the long run to RMA all the parts (or buy a new CPU if they won't accept it) and avoid possibly damaging more parts.