[SOLVED] Possible broken mobo after buying a new case

danbak

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hi!

I bought a new case (Fractal Define R5) to replace my old-ass Antec. I switched the parts from the old case to the new one and tried to boot. Nothing happened. The mobo gets standby power from the PSU, since the lights are on. I doubt it's the CPU, since I didn't remove it (nor the cooler) at any point. Jumpstarting the mobo in the case didn't work. I thought the case could be the problem, so I did a breadboard with only the mobo, the CPU, the PSU and one stick of RAM. Nothing. I fear the case could've broken the mobo. I don't think the PSU is at fault, since the build worked perfectly fine in the old case. Any ideas? Should I RMA the mobo, the case, both, or neither?

Thanks in advance!

author's note: this is by no means my first build.

edit: forgot to include the parts list.

mobo: ASUS B350-PRIME
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Sapphire R9 390 NITRO
CPU cooler: SilentiumPC Spartan 3 LT
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 550W

Last edited:
Solution
I really doubt that installing in a case could have damaged your motherboard.

Since you breadboarded the setup, the case is no longer in play.
I encountered a similar situation some time ago and the problem turned out to be a slightly loose psu main cable. Double check that.
Some motherboards will not start if they think there is no cpu cooler.
Make certain that the cooler fan is securely connected to the motherboard fan header.

While your psu might be marginal, the same parts worked before.
I really doubt that installing in a case could have damaged your motherboard.

Since you breadboarded the setup, the case is no longer in play.
I encountered a similar situation some time ago and the problem turned out to be a slightly loose psu main cable. Double check that.
Some motherboards will not start if they think there is no cpu cooler.
Make certain that the cooler fan is securely connected to the motherboard fan header.

While your psu might be marginal, the same parts worked before.

Solution

danbak

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Everything is securely in place; the motherboard 24pin, the CPU 4+4pin, the CPU fan, the RAM.

I'll try putting the parts in the old case for the hell of it.