Question Possible cause for GPU breakage

frazboyz101

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hi all,

I recently moved houses and when I plugged my PC into the new house I immediately started to have issues with my PC. It would completely freeze and have to be restarted and some times would have to be restarted 10-20+ times in order to get any video output and get into windows.

I tried updating graphic card drivers, re installing the GPU but to no luck. So today I took my Vega 64 into a computer repair store and asked if I could put the GPU on their test bench, lo and behold, the Vega 64 also did not have any video output on there test bench, so that same day I purchased a new RTX 2070 which I installed today. The computer booted perfectly the first time but after installing the Nvidia drivers and restarting, after about 10 minutes of using my PC it came to a complete freeze again so I restarted my PC and now... No video output.

The mother board also has the VGA error light indicator on when I start my computer which stays on. I also am not using a surge protector but I am not sure if that is what is causing the issue?

CPU: 2700X
Mem: 16G DDR4 3200MHZ Kingston Hyper X
GPU: Nvidia 2070
PSU: : Ernamex 650W PSU ITX

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ernamex 650W PSU ITX

Theres your problem. I hope that junk PSU didn't damage your GPUs (sounds like it did). Not only that its not even enough power for a 2700x/Vega 64 system

I have an 1800X/Vega 64 LC and I had a Seasonic Prime Platinum 650w and I was getting shutdowns from hitting OCP. I upgraded to a 750w Prime Platinum. The PSU you have is a doorstop compared to that. Thats your problem.

frazboyz101

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Ernamex 650W PSU ITX

Theres your problem. I hope that junk PSU didn't damage your GPUs (sounds like it did). Not only that its not even enough power for a 2700x/Vega 64 system

I have an 1800X/Vega 64 LC and I had a Seasonic Prime Platinum 650w and I was getting shutdowns from hitting OCP. I upgraded to a 750w Prime Platinum. The PSU you have is a doorstop compared to that. Thats your problem.

Yeah it could very well be the power supply but I did just put a 2070 in it and it powered that till the GPU or something died again.

frazboyz101

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Is it possible that the outlets in your new house are not properly grounded??

Polarity testers are cheap.

I don't know to much about electricity but the wall plugs have two prongs in Hungary but I'm my home country they have three which I always presumed one was there ground but since they have two here, does that mean there is no ground?

frazboyz101

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Take a close look at that review, it supports what I am saying. Enermax makes OK PSUs, but The fact I had issues with a similar setup with a Seasonic Prime, tells me that Enermax doesn't stand a chance. You need more wattage and more quality.

Yeah I agree with that, it's not an amazing PSU but the fact that I moved house then this started to happen is strange. Maybe having a better PSU could of protected the components better?

I have not tried it either so I am interested in what you find out.
Many games are mostly single threaded and perhaps such an approach can help.
It gets confusing because windows task manager will show a single threaded app to be spread out over all available tasks leading one to think that the cpu is not a limiter.

frazboyz101

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
You can delete your posts, if they don't belong to this thread.

It was the other guys post that was in the wrong thread.

Better PSUs do have better more robust protections. It also could have been coincidental.

Are all your plugs around the house not grounded?

The PSU is decent but not great. Overall build quality is just ok.

Since I didn't have any tools as I am not in my home country I sent it into a computer repair store. Seems like they could not see any issue with the computer so I am going to go and buy a surge protector and maybe also a multimeter to test the ground and hope for the best.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Since I didn't have any tools as I am not in my home country I sent it into a computer repair store. Seems like they could not see any issue with the computer so I am going to go and buy a surge protector and maybe also a multimeter to test the ground and hope for the best.

Definitely test the electrical in your house to make sure you have good voltage and grounding. PSU protections can only do so much.