Question Possible computer incompatibility?

Sep 8, 2021
So recently (~3 months ago) I completed my computer build. Since day 1 I’ve been struggling with some crashes and whatnot, and have zoned it down to simply trying to fix a freeze that happens when playing games.

I’m able to replicate it by playing Planet Coaster (Max 165hz 1440p) while watching YouTube on my 2nd moniter. I was hoping someone was able to see if all of my hardware was compatible with each other.

Reliability history shows nothing, however, the game does detect a video driver crash.

Software installed:
  • All drivers up to date
  • MSI Afterburner
  • ArmoryCrate
  • Steam

(This is all on basically a clean install of windows.)

Specs:
  • (MB) Asus Prime X570-PRO
  • (CPU) Ryzen 7 3700x (4.05GHz OC)
  • (GPU) Aorus RTX 3070ti Master (Silent OC)
  • (PSU) Corsair 850W Gold (RM 850X White)
  • (RAM) 8x2 TridentZ RGB (3600MHz)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What version(not edition) are you on for your OS? As for the drivers for your platform, are all drivers up to date? Which slots are the rams populating on the board?

This is all on basically a clean install of windows.
Source of your OS installer?

Sep 8, 2021
BIOS Version: 4021 x64

OS Version: 10.0.19043 Build 19043

All drivers up to date. (Installed yesterday)

Ram are in slots 2 and 4. (What the manual says to put them in.)

OS Installer is on a USB, gotten from the Microsoft website.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
What is 'all drivers up to date'? List them. Is it mouse and keyboard? What else? Pls tell me you have Chipset drivers installed. You get these from AMD's site.
Get rid off Armoury Crate.
Do you have XMP on? Is that problematic?
If it wasn't compatible, your computer wouldn't turn on. Like Intel motherboard with an AMD CPU.

Sep 8, 2021
What is 'all drivers up to date'? List them. Is it mouse and keyboard? What else? Pls tell me you have Chipset drivers installed. You get these from AMD's site.
Get rid off Armoury Crate.
Do you have XMP on? Is that problematic?
If it wasn't compatible, your computer wouldn't turn on. Like Intel motherboard with an AMD CPU.

Nvidia Game Ready Driver 471.96
Chipset Drivers 3.08.17.735
XMP is on, I don’t think it is the issue.
By incompatible I mean like, would the mix of brands (for example, Asus MB with Nvidia GPU) create some sort of issue.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Nvidia Game Ready Driver 471.96
Chipset Drivers 3.08.17.735
XMP is on, I don’t think it is the issue.
By incompatible I mean like, would the mix of brands (for example, Asus MB with Nvidia GPU) create some sort of issue.

Ok, what do the crashes say? I assume you got at least 1 blue screen of death?
If mixing brands created an issue, it would be the problem of the brand and pretty soon they would either correct it or go bankrupt. PC is an open platform. There are standards etc.
There used to be a thing with Intel + Nvidia. Just a good combo for best performance. Had nothing to do with compatibility though. Intel had the best CPU, Nvidia had the best GPU.

Sep 8, 2021
Ok, what do the crashes say? I assume you got at least 1 blue screen of death?
If mixing brands created an issue, it would be the problem of the brand and pretty soon they would either correct it or go bankrupt. PC is an open platform. There are standards etc.
There used to be a thing with Intel + Nvidia. Just a good combo for best performance. Had nothing to do with compatibility though. Intel had the best CPU, Nvidia had the best GPU.

I actually haven’t gotten a blue screen yet, unfortunately. The entire computer freezes, and I can tell it’s a video driver crash since the last frame that it freezes on always has messed up geometry in the game.

CPU temperature never hits above 40°C
GPU temperature never hits above 75°C

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I actually haven’t gotten a blue screen yet, unfortunately. The entire computer freezes, and I can tell it’s a video driver crash since the last frame that it freezes on always has messed up geometry in the game.

CPU temperature never hits above 40°C
GPU temperature never hits above 75°C
Multi-monitors has been an issue for years. I have two. Turns out, most problems are solved by running just 1 screen. But that is not good enough. I'm guessing you have different resolutions and refreshrates on both monitors? What if you tried 120 hz, 90, 75 hz on the 165 hz monitor?
A different cable? Or switch from HDMI to DP or vice versa? Have you tried different outputs from the GPU?
Does the driver crash mention anything? Like TDRDELAY or similar?

Sep 8, 2021
Multi-monitors has been an issue for years. I have two. Turns out, most problems are solved by running just 1 screen. But that is not good enough. I'm guessing you have different resolutions and refreshrates on both monitors? What if you tried 120 hz, 90, 75 hz on the 165 hz monitor?
A different cable? Or switch from HDMI to DP or vice versa? Have you tried different outputs from the GPU?
Does the driver crash mention anything? Like TDRDELAY or similar?

My first moniter is a Dell 165hz 1440p, and my 2nd is a 60hz 1080p, so that might be the issue. They’re both going through display ports (used to be 1 display 1 HDMI, but I was having issues with that.)

The driver crash doesn’t ever mention anything. I’ve considering just using one but I’ve used 2 for so long it’s hard to adjust.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
My first moniter is a Dell 165hz 1440p, and my 2nd is a 60hz 1080p, so that might be the issue. They’re both going through display ports (used to be 1 display 1 HDMI, but I was having issues with that.)

The driver crash doesn’t ever mention anything. I’ve considering just using one but I’ve used 2 for so long it’s hard to adjust.
Mine are 1440p 75 Hz and 1080p 144 Hz (which wont run anything over 60 Hz when both monitors are connected).

Have you checked Event Viewer? Windows logs, System, 'Create Custom VIew' on the right, tick Error/Critical and OK.

Sep 8, 2021
Mine are 1440p 75 Hz and 1080p 144 Hz (which wont run anything over 60 Hz when both monitors are connected).

Have you checked Event Viewer? Windows logs, System, 'Create Custom VIew' on the right, tick Error/Critical and OK.

I used to have that 60hz issue a while ago, when I got my new GPU it fixed it.

I can now see that ROGLiveService.exe had an error at 8:57:47, and then the computer froze at 9:16:04.

Can you tell me specifically what I’m looking for?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I used to have that 60hz issue a while ago, when I got my new GPU it fixed it.

I can now see that ROGLiveService.exe had an error at 8:57:47, and then the computer froze at 9:16:04.

Can you tell me specifically what I’m looking for?

Anything related to GPU. GPU driver crash, anything that has more info of WHAT exactly caused the crash. Error message, anything. Even if it is hexadecimal form. 'Error 0x13324563' or similar.

Sep 8, 2021
Anything related to GPU. GPU driver crash, anything that has more info of WHAT exactly caused the crash. Error message, anything. Even if it is hexadecimal form. 'Error 0x13324563' or similar.
I can’t find anything relating to GPU at all. The only thing I can find is ROGLiveService.exe is a faulted application, and then PlanetCoaster.exe stopped interacting with windows since the PC froze.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I can’t find anything relating to GPU at all. The only thing I can find is ROGLiveService.exe is a faulted application, and then PlanetCoaster.exe stopped interacting with windows since the PC froze.

Do you need RogLiveService? I would test uninstalling it. And Armourycrate if you haven't yet. Those mobo utilities usually cause more problems than they try to solve. Wasn't there recently a malware attack too that used Asus's utilities? I would run a Malwarebytes check too.

Sep 8, 2021
Do you need RogLiveService? I would test uninstalling it. And Armourycrate if you haven't yet. Those mobo utilities usually cause more problems than they try to solve. Wasn't there recently a malware attack too that used Asus's utilities? I would run a Malwarebytes check too.
I’m planning on wayyyy later today (in like 12 hours) to reinstall my OS so I can remove all Asus and just have the main stuff I need, since I think it’s already too late to remove the Asus infection lol

I’ll run Malwarebytes later today too. I’ll update if anything happens/gets fixed.