[SOLVED] Possible corrupted SSD

May 26, 2020
Hello,

I have already made my problem known through another post however I have one final idea to try but I can't do it due to some problems.

I want to try a fresh windows 10 install on my C: drive (SSD) however when i plug in my USB and get to the windows install menu all my partitions are shown but my C: drive lacks sufficient space to install. I only have 8.1 gig available when it requires 9.9 gig for fresh install.

I have tried to format the drive and it registers like it is working but then just resets the partition page and the drive is still registering the same capacity as before. I tried to format my HDD 1TB and it worked fine and erased everything and I could install Windows 10. The only problem with this is my HDD doesn't appear in my boot menu for some unknown reason. When I click add boot option it gives me no file path to check except for my SSD path (KINGSTON)

I have opened the repair my pc path and tried every fix available including using command prompt checkdisk , select the SSD and clean all function and it all registers with no errors and says it has completed succesfully but when I reboot and return to the windows install menu once again it shows me I still only have 8.1 gig available and cannot install windows due to insufficient space.

So overall I suspect my SSD is somehow corrupted but also my second query is why wouldn't my HDD show up in the boot menu and why is there no option for me to add it?

I have tried the basic options with secure boot off and fast boot off and nearly every other option in between

Specs as follows

ASUS ROG Strix II GL504GM
NVIDIA GTX 1060
INTEL i7-8750H
16GB RAM
BIOS version 311

Solution
Ok ill do that, how do I do a full wipe if I cant delete or format anything ?
Boot from a Windows install USB. That will allow you to delete all the existing partitions and proceed on with a blank drive.

Assuming Win 10, this:

USAFRet

Titan
What specific SSD?
What motherboard?

When you're doing the install, you DELETE all existing partitions on the drive. And you have only the ONE drive connected during the install.

May 26, 2020
The SSD is NVMe SSD 256GB model name KINGSTON RBUSN S8154P3256GJ

Im not sure where to find motherboard info

I don't undertsnad what you mean , when I click windows install it takes me to a screen where I choose what drive I need to install on but I cant choose my C drive and that drive also won't format or delete

USAFRet

Titan
The SSD is NVMe SSD 256GB model name KINGSTON RBUSN S8154P3256GJ

Im not sure where to find motherboard info

I don't undertsnad what you mean , when I click windows install it takes me to a screen where I choose what drive I need to install on but I cant choose my C drive and that drive also won't format or delete
During the install, when it asks Where...you select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all existing partitions. Delete all of them and proceed on.

And again, have only the ONE drive connected.

May 26, 2020
During the install, when it asks Where...you select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all existing partitions. Delete all of them and proceed on.

And again, have only the ONE drive connected.
Ok now I understand, and yes I did that but my main drive. C: (SSD) doesn't do anything when I click delete, it asks me whether I want to as it will delete everything ect and I click yes then it just doesnt do anything. Same amount of space avaialble and thats it. All other drives delete except for C:

USAFRet

Titan
Ok now I understand, and yes I did that but my main drive. C: (SSD) doesn't do anything when I click delete, it asks me whether I want to as it will delete everything ect and I click yes then it just doesnt do anything. Same amount of space avaialble and thats it. All other drives delete except for C:
Again...only the ONE drive connected.
You're booting up from a good USB to install with?

Can you take a pic of the screen where it does not let you 'delete' the partitions on that drive?

May 26, 2020
Even when I installed windows 10 on the 1TB it still wouldn't do anything, didn't appear in the bios or anything.

As for the partitions I click delete and it loads for a bit then nothing happens, refresh the page and its still there same amount of total and free space, this happens with every drive except the 1TB which always manages to install windows and then I can delete it from the install screen

USAFRet

Titan
Even when I installed windows 10 on the 1TB it still wouldn't do anything, didn't appear in the bios or anything.

As for the partitions I click delete and it loads for a bit then nothing happens, refresh the page and its still there same amount of total and free space, this happens with every drive except the 1TB which always manages to install windows and then I can delete it from the install screen
Then it may well be a corrupt SSD.

eastonco

BANNED
Jan 18, 2020
I would suggest getting a USB bootable version of linux such as centos and booting to the USB drive and then trying to create a file on the drive using the command line. One of the first lines of defence of a SSD is to go into read only mode when it knows that it is failing. This makes it so you can recover your data but limits the activity to the drive by stopping writes.If you are unable to write to the drive, then yeah, you are looking at a SSD that has write locked due to failures.

Source - I work as a systems administrator for a large web hosting company and we have SSDs go bad all the time.

May 26, 2020
What do you mean "nothing happens"?

Why are you looking for an Asus test tool for a Kingston drive?
That would be the Kingston SSD Manager - https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/ssdmanager
Ok so a few updates, I managed to pull out my SSD and put it in my partners laptop. The drive appeared to work fine all my files were still there however after scanning it I discovered a Wacatac trojan virus. Windows defender couldn't seem to remove it I kept clicking actions then remove but nothing would happen.

I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran a scan on the drive and it picked up the trojan and a few other small viruses, they were quarantined and destroyed so i thought I was done however now I try to format the drive or delete anything on it and the files say they have been deleted but they keep coming back no matter what I do.

I have changed all the permissions on the drive but they keep reverting to default settings. I assume this virus is what is preventing my SSD from booting on my actual laptop and it is also the reason I cannot delete anything or gain permissions.

USAFRet

Titan
Don't try to "fix" anything or gain permissions. An exercise in frustration, and you'll never really be sure that trojan is actually gone.
Just copy your personal files off to some other device, and do a full wipe and reinstall on that laptop drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok ill do that, how do I do a full wipe if I cant delete or format anything ?
Boot from a Windows install USB. That will allow you to delete all the existing partitions and proceed on with a blank drive.

Assuming Win 10, this:

Solution