Question Possible CPU cooling issue?

Oct 1, 2020
Apologies in advance if this post is overly detailed, just want to make sure i'm not missing anything important!

Current system specs for reference:
i7 9700k
MSI Z370 SLi PLUS
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram @3Kmhz (norm 2400)
Gigabyte Aurous 2080 Super
Corsair CM750X (black label) PSU
Win 10 - All drivers/etc up to date
Samsung EVO 1TB NVME SSD
PNY and an INTEL 512GB normal SSD

I recently replaced my 8600k and nvidia 1070 in my system with a new 9700k and 2080 Super.
I replaced the CPU first and fired up the system to make sure it would post without issues, etc and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, so I replaced the GPU after cleaning out the older drivers (along with the old hidden drivers for the 8600k in the device manager...though I don't know if this matters either way) and proceeded to update everything as needed, including my motherboards bios. (which was needed to jump from the 8600k to the 9700k) The 9700k is over clocked, but only via the quick over clock feature in the MOBO bios. Nothing extreme. (4.7GHZ steady)

Originally I was having major issues with the GPU crashing to desktop in almost any game - or GPU intensive software, I tried various types of games and a piece of software rendering I use for working with G-CODE.
So I did another clean install of the Nvidia drivers, reseated the GPU and this seemed to fix the issue.
Loaded up some games, and everything seemed fine - only one small crash playing WoW (yet not playing games like Control or Metro Exodus maxed out) that I chalked up to being random.

A day or two later I started having some more crashes happening, with one blue screen hard crash.
This has been the current situation, with nothing really pin-pointing what's causing it. I had crashes with WoW after an hour or so, yet no crashes on Control which I played for another or so...then I fired up the remaster of Command And Conquer and 20 minutes into a match, it crashed to desktop again.
Each game has their own reason for crashing, but it's always related to something about a driver or what not - I didn't think of writing them down at the time.

I decided to put the GPU under a stress test to see what temps I would get and if it would crash - and after 30 minutes in Kombustion, it never reached past 72C and was perfectly fine.
So I went to check the CPU and saw my idle temps sitting at normal ranges, I.E. 35-37C.
I did a CPU stress test and within 4-5 seconds core temps would hit 97-101C...thinking the cooler just needed a moment to do it's job, I let another test run for about 45 seconds and temps stayed almost the same.

Currently right now i'm running a Corsair H100i (which is a few years old) for CPU cooling, to which I cleaned and reapplied quality thermal paste (pea drop!) to the new CPU.
The only thing I unplugged in the process of switching CPU's was this small mini-USB cable that goes into the pump (which was plugged back in), and moved the radiator to the front of the case, instead of the top.
I noticed some pretty intense heat coming from the radiator/fan area, along with the tubes that transfer coolant also.
So i'm starting to wonder if the pump is failing, or the cooling solution is running low? It was working fine just a day before, and the 8600k was OC'd.
Or is it the CPU? Or something else?
I understand that Intels speed step can make temps jump around...but this seems a bit over kill, even more so given the system instability.

I'll also add that over all system stability while doing normal tasks has been perfectly fine too. I also have the side panel off to allow for additional air flow until the issue is resolved, so nothing is restricting in nor out take.

I'm going to do a clean install of Windows tomorrow either way, but I doubt that'll correct the issue with temps.

Any advice, criticism or ideas, all are welcome! :)

So I went to check the CPU and saw my idle temps sitting at normal ranges, I.E. 35-37C.
I did a CPU stress test and within 4-5 seconds core temps would hit 97-101C...thinking the cooler just needed a moment to do t's job, I let another test run for about 45 seconds and temps stayed almost the same.
I noticed some pretty intense heat coming from the radiator/fan area, along with the tubes that transfer coolant also.
So i'm starting to wonder if the pump is failing

Currently right now i'm running a Corsair H100i (which is a few years old) for CPU cooling, to which I cleaned and reapplied quality thermal paste (pea drop!) to the new CPU.
From what you describe is a pump failure and your Warranty should cover that.
There is nothing you can do as the H100i as with any AIO are a sealed unit.

I think the Warranty is five years . Corsair are good with support and here is the RMA procedure.: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033067832-Corsair-Limited-Warranty.

Oct 1, 2020
From what you describe is a pump failure and your Warranty should cover that.
There is nothing you can do as the H100i as with any AIO are a sealed unit.

I think the Warranty is five years . Corsair are good with support and here is the RMA procedure.: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033067832-Corsair-Limited-Warranty.

I ended up taking everything apart after this post, putting it back together and re-testing it.
Now it peaks around 92/93-ish. And that's with new Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, etc and quadruple checking everything.

I had an old single fan AIO from Corsair before this one, and that thing lasted like 6-7 years, this one seems to have only lasted 3/4 years. I shook around the radiator too, and it sounds like there is barely any coolant in there to boot.

I'm going to RMA this one then, hopefully that'll do that trick. Thanks though!

TRENDING THREADS