Possible CPU,Motherboard,RAM, and PSU Upgrade, what to do with storage and Game Drives

RajunKajun59

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Been a lurker for a while, joined today to ask this question, looked for answers but I couldn't find one.

My current system is still really good, and not in need of an upgrade, I like overkill and overhead, and hey why not. Either I will upgrade or clean it up and Perform a clean install.

Intel I7 3770K oc'd to 4.6
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
NVidia GTX780 - 2Way SLI
Rosewill 850 PSU
NZXT - Liquid cooling for CPU
Intel 280GB SSD - Operating System Drive
(2) - 2 TB HDDs one strictlyfor games and applications and the other for Media(pictures, music, videos, recording software, etc...)
The Gaming drive has all my games, Steam, Origin, and Ubisoft's game launcher

Planning on Upgrading to
Intel i7-5820K
ASUS X-99 Deluxe mother board
ROSEWILL PHOTON 1200
32GB DDR4 2666 Ram

My Question, if I upgrade or do a clean Win 8.1 Install, will I have to worry about my Game Drive and Media Drive not working or needing to reinstall everything?

Usually when I upgrade it is a complete new system and a re-install of everything. This is the first time I upgrade just parts, or the first time I perform a clean install on a multiple drive machine.

What would be the best way to handle the (2) - 2TB HDDs I know I would need to back-up the My Documents Folder, and anything I want to keep.

Thanks for your help in advance guys.:D

Solution
I recently went through the process of replacing my mobo from a low end model to a high end model for the first time. I am still a bit of a noob with PC hardware but I managed to figure everything out, and some of the things I say may be helpful to you.

Definately clean install windows. I made the mistake of trying to run all the old data on the new mobo without a clean install and the system took ages to load anything (half an hour or more to open file explorer). After doing a clean install, it ran perfectly and allowed for a fast setup. As for the HDDs, back up your data, and although it is not necessary, I recommend that you format them during the process of OS installation. You will need to reinstall everything onto the system...

Shnookyseuss

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
I recently went through the process of replacing my mobo from a low end model to a high end model for the first time. I am still a bit of a noob with PC hardware but I managed to figure everything out, and some of the things I say may be helpful to you.

Definately clean install windows. I made the mistake of trying to run all the old data on the new mobo without a clean install and the system took ages to load anything (half an hour or more to open file explorer). After doing a clean install, it ran perfectly and allowed for a fast setup. As for the HDDs, back up your data, and although it is not necessary, I recommend that you format them during the process of OS installation. You will need to reinstall everything onto the system however, but it is less stressful than trying to keep everything on the system and finding out something didn't work.

One last bit of information is that in my situation, Windows would not boot with the old mobo drivers in tact. I had to hook up the old mobo agian and uninstall the drivers in order for anything to boot on the new mobo. This last bit of information might not apply to your setup but it is something to consider.

My experience with the mobo swap may differ from yours especially since i worked with an amd based system rather than an intel one. Anyway I hope this information will have helped you and good luck on your hardware upgrades!

Solution