Question Possible CPU or MB issues

sidhrat

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
Hello friends,

I have read the "sticky" on things to try before posting but I just want some second opinions…

Here’s the rundown of how it happened and what I’ve done:

I built it myself and It’s been working with no issues for the past 3 weeks. Then yesterday I decided to try Linux to play around with. I downloaded Ubunu and POP! OS onto 2 USB sticks and rebooted my PC. I inserted the first stick (Ubuntu) and booted it without problem, played around for a bit, shut it down to try POP and then my PC wouldn’t boot again. The fans started spinning but I got no video on my monitor. I did a hard shutdown, removed the USB and tried again. Nothing. Removed all other USBs, still nothing.

I opened up the side panel to check the lights on the motherboard and the one for VGA was lit. I checked that everything was plugged in properly and of course it was since it had all been working fine just minutes ago. I read that clearing CMOS might help and did that. Powered down, removed all cables, turned off the PSU, waited a bit and used a screwdriver and touched both pins. As I powered it back on nothing had changed though.

I still had my old GPU lying around so I put that in and now the LED on the motherboard showed it was something to do with the CPU instead. Then I let it sit unplugged over night as it was getting late and I was getting tired/frustrated.

In its current state, with a screen plugged into the on-board graphics all the fans start spinning, the CPU LED lights up and after like 30 seconds or so it shuts down for like a second and then starts back up again and it keeps doing that. Screen remains black through all this.

Is the problem really with the CPU or is it the motherboard? It’s so sudden and I haven’t had any issues prior to this. I found a post on another forum with a user who had the same MB and initially the same issue with the VGA LED being lit, and for them clearing CMOS worked. So that makes me think it’s something with the MB rather than the CPU… Thoughts?

Specs:
MB: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
CPU: Intel i7 9700k 3.6
GPU: Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Dragon
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
(OS: Win 10)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS