Possible CPU upgrades on pre-built Omen?

mlthmp

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
I purchased an HP Omen from Best Buy.. I couldn't swing the i7 version at the moment, so I went with the core i5 7400. According the HP's website about the motherboard (HP-82F1) it'll run the i7-7700, or the i7-7700K with something called "only with Ariia+ chassis" (which I honestly have zero idea what that means)

What I was wondering.. I've been told by some people that the new Kaby Lake motherboards are backwards compatible with Skylake CPUs. Is that true? And if so.. which would be the better option staying with Kaby Lake (probably the 7700) or would I benefit more from dropping a generation to Skylake (again, if that's even possible)

I know everyone is against pre-built computers, but I got a killer deal on this one, and according to PCPP I couldn't have built it from scratch for what I paid.

Please, be kind.. my first post here, lol

Was mainly interested in the OP's personal experience, since he's looking to upgrade a brand new machine. I've seen a few threads here of people with i5 6400's who were disappointed, but this is the first with a 7400.

mlthmp

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015

I learned a long time ago not to take anything said online personal, but im not an ignorant customer. I got this machine for 550 new. i5-7400, 16GB DDR4 and the 3gb version of the 1060.

Is it a game killer? No, of course not.. but for that price I couldn't turn it down. The HP website says the CPU upgrades are the Core i7-7700K, with whatever the heck "Ariia+ chassis" is.. the 7700 or the core i3 i3-7100. I know the socket is a 1151, and I've heard some folks say they "downgraded" to Skylake to and got better performance. I thought maybe I could save a few dollars and get a skylake i7. Everything I've seen online seems to point towards the last Gen i7's being nearly as strong as Kaby Lake.

The only thing I've had to to do is replace the PSU (which I already had)

If im "stuck" with current gen CPUs I'll just get a 7700 since I don't care about overclocking.. but if there was a comparable skylake option.. why not save a couple bucks.