Possible Dead CPU

2linkman

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I have a 4790k and last night while watching a video all my fans went to max speed (gpu and all) I narrowed it down to the mobo or the CPU and I am leaning towards the CPU. I took off the heatsink and let the computer idle and the CPU didn't get hot at all which why I think it is indeed the CPU. I would just like a second opinion.

At this point it`s always important to ask what brand of power supply is currently in your system.
How many watts it is in total output, and amp rating for the 12v power rails of the PSU.

And how old the Psu may be in years.
If the CPU was broken then the motherboard should at least report this via a bios beep code error.
Or by the two digit Lcd code error displayed on the motherboard if it has one Linkman.

If the system is a few years old say two to three years and the power supply of it the same in age.
It can be likely that the psu is the cause.

Mainly due to if the psu is of a cheap or not well branded and trusted manufacturer Linkman.
If that fails to give a result.

And the board is not giving any sort of bios beep error codes,
I suggest you at least try the cpu in another motherboard cpu socket to confirm if it is the motherboard at fault or the cpu it`s self if you can.

2linkman

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I have tried a different PSU to eliminate that factor and same result i do not have on board speaker

TRENDING THREADS