Question Possible failing hdd or something else?

BearOfPlague

Honorable
May 15, 2016
So i have two hdd set up and they have always worked fine and i can play games that i have on the second no problem. Yesterday i was playing a game (thats on the second hdd) and everything was fine until i clicked on something and it froze but the music was still playing. i tried tabbing out, task manager, alt f4 nothing was working then screen went black so i turned my pc off and restarted it. when it came back second hdd was gone, i ran chkdsk, mdsched and when it came back up the 2nd hdd was back so i figured it was fine, went to bed.

Next day it was still there tried playing game on it same thing happened (froze, black screen, restart). On this restart the startup was very slow it was stuck on the bios boot logo for a long time, it was stuck on finding any hdd. I got into the BIOS and saw that the second drive wasn't being detected at all i let it boot up (slowly) and ran sfc in command prompt, turned it off checked the sata connections, and now the 2nd drive is back again. Computer running much slower than normal, downloaded crystaldiskinfo to run smart test, 2nd hard drive is apparently fine, 1st one says caution and giving a current pending sector count : 1. Tried playing a game on my 1st hdd i played 2 days ago before it started having problems and it ran so incredibly bad.

I'm not looking for an exact answer but more for your opinion, i know when motherboards are dying it has alot of problems that im experiencing. but i also cant tell if its just one or both of my hdd's dying on me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the motherboard forum so apologies if this is in wrong place.

Specs if needed:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-4300
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX PLUS (AM3R2)
Graphics
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (EVGA)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 ATA Device (SATA)
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FBYS-05A6B0 ATA Device (SATA)

Lutfij

Titan
Your specs list is incomplete, please mention the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age. Include the BIOS version at the time of writing and the OS version(not edition). On the topic of BIOS, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely(without a lockup)?