Question Possible failure? how can I check ?

guardian_4ce

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
Hey guys, so I started using 'Bella' after a while and I made updates/made sure everything was in place etc.
At some point she went into a restart cycle. I'd press the on button,fans spinning,lights on and after 3 seconds off, then on again, then off and on again and off.
Then I tried to make sure RAM,GPU,cables are locked and at some point it worked (I don't know what did it though, it seemed totally random).

It's been a few days and it's working fine but i'm a little worried. Is there a chance my PSU is giving me warnings ? or any other component ? is there a software to check if the voltages are fine etc? (I'm on a Mac)

thanks

Given that the cable wiggling seemed to help, I'd start by removing and reconnecting each power cable, and the power and reset switch cables. In fact I'd see if it does it without the power and reset switch cables connected and try and start it by shorting the power cable pins (if you know how to do this.)

This could be a dodgy power cable connection, or it could be a power switch gone bad.

guardian_4ce

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
I've done what you said besides shorting the cable pins. The 'problem' is that now it works flawlessly so if it was cable related I can't know.
So you think it's unlikely that the PSU (or something else, mobo?) is dying and this was a warning ?

It's getting long in the tooth, but it's mostly solid state, so it'll work until it doesn't, but if not overclocked it should carry on working until well past obsolescence. The PSU is good, solid unit, it's being loaded to 40-50%, so it'll last a good long while too, even if it ages.

See what happens, start preparing to replace, keep backups of important data (like you should be doing anyway).

TRENDING THREADS