Possible false cpu temp readings?

alex1138p

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I have a i7 920 @ 2.8 non overclocked, with a stock cooler. I've been getting idle temps around 95-100c and 100c+ in games, all running normally although performance has degraded over time. Is it possible this is a false reading? I read that these intel things are pretty accurate at temps so I would be a little suprised. My video card idles at 45-50 (ati 4870 stock hsf) and at games goes to 70-90c. is something wrong with my cooling/airflow? Iv taken off my casing and blown air with a fan and temps barely went down.

ps rig is around 3-4 years old

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Try taking the cooler off and reapplying thermal paste. That is definitely not a stable temperature. Does your computer ever freeze or bluescreen? Make sure there is no dust caked on any air intakes. I made that mistake one time. I'd get bluescreens playing games and my GPU temps were 100+. So I took it out one day and the air intake was completely blocked by dust. Another problem could be a broken thermistor.

with the gpu it can be dust...or the fan could be going bad..most time with older gpu is they run hotter and there stressed more with new games. I went from a nvidia 250 that was hot in games to a 560..card was more powerfull but also ran cooler stock.
with the cpu make sure the fan is moving. a lot of time with age the fan bearing starts failing and the fan slows down or stops. also with the plastic leg cpu cooler over time the plastic clips get weak or lose from heat. my self i would spend a few bucks and pick up a new cpu cooler and paste. if you can get to the back of the mb..pick up a evo 212 heat sink with a back plate. if you cant then see if intel send you a new fan or pick one up with clip on.

alex1138p

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
It plays games slower than it used to but not even a noticeable throttle or shutdown of any kind, not even a game crash.

I restarted my computer, bios reported around 60-65 c for the cpu, with system fans at 0 rpm. with hardware monitor it read 50-60 c idle for cpu. Its jumpin all over the place and playing games now hardly raises it above 70.

I plan on getting new coolers soon, but am I doing damage to my system my having it on and under load? I don't want to burn out my cpu cause I plan on getting a 670 to run with it in the near future.

alex1138p

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Fan def starts up fast when i boot up the rig, heatsink is securely on, not wobbly or anythin with those shitty plastic pins all locked in, shits kinda grimy in there dust wise but ill get to cleaning and reapplying of arctic silver 5. for replacing the stock hs, would a raystorm RX360 kit work well for a beginner to bring temps down? and would I be able to add a 670 block to the loop once i pick up the gtx card? I rlly don't wanna fry any of my parts since it must have been running like this for a while now.