Question possible faulty 9700k

bigendian

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Dear all,

i bought this cpu from about 8 months, and mounted it by myself. Initially, while building (gcc 8 threads) temperature was easily growning to throttling point (100C), tried different fans, finally found one (also cheaper than others, a cooling master hyper 212), where on 8 thread compilation i reach 75C, but sometimes, leaving the station building for some hours, i can get a gcc "internal compiler error". Restarting the build with cold cpu, build of same source succeed. In stand by, UI running but not building, i am on 28/30*C an all 8 cores.

Is this that 9700k is maybe famous to get so hot ? Or is more probably me that i am doing something wrong ? Or as last, the chip defective ?

At this point my station is not realiable for job purposes, really need a hint on how to proceed now.

Many thanks

Dear all,

i bought this cpu from about 8 months, and mounted it by myself. Initially, while building (gcc 8 threads) temperature was easily growning to throttling point (100C), tried different fans, finally found one (also cheaper than others, a cooling master hyper 212), where on 8 thread compilation i reach 75C, but sometimes, leaving the station building for some hours, i can get a gcc "internal compiler error". Restarting the build with cold cpu, build of same source succeed. In stand by, UI running but not building, i am on 28/30*C an all 8 cores.

Is this that 9700k is maybe famous to get so hot ? Or is more probably me that i am doing something wrong ? Or as last, the chip defective ?

At this point my station is not realiable for job purposes, really need a hint on how to proceed now.

Many thanks
That's not hot enough to cause such problems.

The temps seem good especially the idle and max temps so as CountMike has stated this could be some other issue like RAM or code though the Cooler Master Hyper 212 is a bit weak for a 9700K. What are the other components you are using?

That type of error usually signifies an issue with the code itself but to be honest I am out of my depth (and happy to admit it)...and hopefully others better than me can jump in and help.

bigendian

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Hi all,

thanks for the replies, i solved, and explaining details.

The Linux tool (yocto) i use to compile issues several parallel processes, and for each compilation it uses 8 threads, but at the end, of course, there can't be mor e than 8 cores running :) but it spawns a lot of compilation related processes, > 100.

So tried a stress test separately.

I tried mprime option 2, Small FFT, for 2 hours, i have a maximum peak of 86*C but average near 74 abt or the like.
While compiling i get a max of 75, avg 65 or the like .

So the issue of my gcc "internal compiler error" was not the heat.

In the kernel log i then found a "Out of memory" message, and discovered compilation was spawning a lot of tasks, and i reached 16GB. So that is. Moving to 32G will solve the issue.

Btw, about CPU, so should i go for a better fan, to go a bit cooler, or it's ok as is ?

Thanks

Reactions: vMax
Hi happy you solved it....I think it would be worth a better CPU cooler as the boost will be held better. The 9700K is a very good CPU with a lot of performance and even a mild overclock makes a difference and in the future if you feel up to it with good cooling it will happily hit 5GHz on all cores!