[SOLVED] Possible faulty be quiet System Power B9 600W

Oct 13, 2021
Hi,
I've had this PSU for almost 2 years now.

A few days ago the PC started having problems while booting up. All the fans would spin but the PC wouldn't POST or make any BIOS beeps to signify what the problem is. I had to switch off the PSU because the PC wouldn't turn off from the power button when that happened. Usually my next try to boot the PC would work. Sometimes, however, switching the PSU on after having switched it off would trip the circuit breaker of the room.

Now the PC doesn't boot at all. All the fans spin, apart from the GPU's one, and it doesn't POST or produce any BIOS beeps.

I've done several tests to rule out other hardware as faulty. Unplugging and removing everything from the motherboard apart from the CPU and the PSU itself, but it still doesn't POST or produce any BIOS beeps to signify that the RAM or the OS hard drive or the GPU is missing. Reseating the GPU and removing dust multiple times. Reseating both sticks of RAM in various configurations, either a single stick each time or both. I've also thoroughly checked the motherboard's capacitors for any bulging or leak. Also the pretty obvious removal of the CMOS battery and clearing the CMOS with the jumper. Nothing has produced any beeps or any different results.

Specs :
PSU : be quiet System Power B9 600W
CPU : AMD FX-8320
GPU : AMD Radeon HD 7750 2GB
Motherboard : ASRock 980DE/U3S3
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB @ 1866MHz

Solution
Hello Azurus77. I wholeheartedly agree with jay32267's statements. And while your be quiet! model aesthetically looks cool, I don't personally have a whole lot of faith in your unit, after reading your problem description, and Aris' 2016 review.

Were I in your situation, I would do the following:

(1) Immediately stop attempting to power your computer with that power supply. While it's indeed possible that your PSU is malfunctioning, my immediate concern is that repeated attempts could potentially damage the PC components connected to it. I would unplug it from the wall outlet, then hold the power button on the PC case for ten seconds, to fully discharge it's capacitors.

(2) I would...
Oct 13, 2021
"switching the PSU on after having switched it off would trip the circuit breaker of the room. "
This is a sign there's a PSU problem.
I would be replacing it.

This is my idea too, but I'm also kinda troubled about how the GPU's fan is the only one that doesn't spin anymore when trying to boot.

This is my idea too, but I'm also kinda troubled about how the GPU's fan is the only one that doesn't spin anymore when trying to boot.
When PSUs go bad....things like that can happen.....some things work....some things don't.

However....switching the PSU on should NEVER trip the circuit breaker.

There is either a problem with the breaker or the PSU and I'm betting PSU.

Reactions: Azurus77
Hello Azurus77. I wholeheartedly agree with jay32267's statements. And while your be quiet! model aesthetically looks cool, I don't personally have a whole lot of faith in your unit, after reading your problem description, and Aris' 2016 review.

(1) Immediately stop attempting to power your computer with that power supply. While it's indeed possible that your PSU is malfunctioning, my immediate concern is that repeated attempts could potentially damage the PC components connected to it. I would unplug it from the wall outlet, then hold the power button on the PC case for ten seconds, to fully discharge it's capacitors.

(2) I would reach out to be quiet! support and submit a RMA request. Your message thread inspired me to glance at their support page, and it appears that your unit may have come with a 3-year warranty. Even if you've owned it longer, I recommend that you submit the claim anyway, and see if they'll offer you any support on it. How they treat your request will give you a reasonable idea of how they'll treat you if you still have a product under warranty. To be clear, it's reasonable if they deny the claim for an out of warranty item, but I would still submit the claim to witness their process.

service ticket request
https://www.bequiet.com/en/contact/service?id=1279

warranty terms
https://www.bequiet.com/en/warranty

(3) Regardless of the be quiet! RMA status, I would still purchase a new power supply from any source that is reputable, can get it to me quickly, has a no hassle return policy (Amazon, NewEgg, Micro Center (walk-ins), Best Buy, etc). Why you may ask? Because you are experiencing a computer emergency, and probably cannot afford to have it down for an extended period of time. Looking at your build components, I might purchase a humble power supply with the following criteria: $55 - $65 / 500 - 650 watt / non-modular or semi-modular / Seasonic or Corsair. If SeaSonic, I might consider the Seasonic S12III (non-modular) and for Corsair may the CX or CX-M (non-modular and semi modular respectively). EVGA also sells many low cost units, but I don't personally touch anything of theirs unless it's top tier. In addition to their quality PSUs, they also sell some really poor quality ones as well. Just make sure that any unit you choose has all the appropriate number of connectors for your motherboard / graphics card / drives / etc.

Review conclusion excerpt
be quiet! trusted FSP, its favorite OEM, once again and the outcome is its fresh Pure Power 9 line. Compared to the previous generation, these new models offer several upgrades. The most notable is the 80 PLUS Silver efficiency, of course. Although be quiet! claims that these units have independent regulation on all rails, our test results prove otherwise. So, if you apply full load at +12V and minimum at 5V, the +12V ripple goes out of spec due to some high spikes. With minimum load at +12V and maximum at 5V, ripple suppression might fall within the limits, but load regulation goes haywire with the voltage at +12V reaches close to 13V!

be quiet! Pure Power 9 600W PSU Review (Conclusion)
By Aris Mpitziopoulos
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-pure-power-9-600w-power-supply,4516-10.html

be quiet! Pure Power 9 600W PSU Review (Beginning of Review)
By Aris Mpitziopoulos
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-pure-power-9-600w-power-supply,4516.html

Addendum: If you elect to submit the claim, and I recommend that you do, please be aware that their are two similar models of PSUs; one SYSTEM POWER B9 600W (bulk) and the other SYSTEM POWER 9 600W. It would seem clear that you have the former, which you'll need to know when submitting your request. Most likely the serial number on your unit would tell them that, but I just figured that I should mention. The easiest way to get the serial number off your PSU is to open the case, and take a photo of the label on the side, and possibly the top of the unit.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1282

https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1279

Last edited:
Reactions: Azurus77
Solution

(2) I would reach out to be quiet! support and submit a RMA request. Your message thread inspired me to glance at their support page, and it appears that your unit may have come with a 3-year warranty. Even if you've owned it longer, I recommend that you submit the claim anyway, and see if they'll offer you any support on it. How they treat your request will give you a reasonable idea of how they'll treat you if you still have a product under warranty. To be clear, it's reasonable if they deny the claim for an out of warranty item, but I would still submit the claim to witness their process.

service ticket request

warranty terms

(3) Regardless of the be quiet! RMA status, I would still purchase a new power supply from any source that is reputable, can get it to me quickly, has a no hassle return policy (Amazon, NewEgg, Micro Center (walk-ins), Best Buy, etc). Why you may ask? Because you are experiencing a computer emergency, and probably cannot afford to have it down for an extended period of time. Looking at your build components, I might purchase a humble power supply with the following criteria: $55 - $65 / 500 - 650 watt / non-modular or semi-modular / Seasonic or Corsair. If SeaSonic, I might consider the Seasonic S12III (non-modular) and for Corsair may the CX or CX-M (non-modular and semi modular respectively). EVGA also sells many low cost units, but I don't personally touch anything of theirs unless it's top tier. In addition to their quality PSUs, they also sell some really poor quality ones as well. Just make sure that any unit you choose has all the appropriate number of connectors for your motherboard / graphics card / drives / etc.

be quiet! trusted FSP, its favorite OEM, once again and the outcome is its fresh Pure Power 9 line. Compared to the previous generation, these new models offer several upgrades. The most notable is the 80 PLUS Silver efficiency, of course. Although be quiet! claims that these units have independent regulation on all rails, our test results prove otherwise. So, if you apply full load at +12V and minimum at 5V, the +12V ripple goes out of spec due to some high spikes. With minimum load at +12V and maximum at 5V, ripple suppression might fall within the limits, but load regulation goes haywire with the voltage at +12V reaches close to 13V!

By Aris Mpitziopoulos
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-pure-power-9-600w-power-supply,4516-10.html

By Aris Mpitziopoulos
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-pure-power-9-600w-power-supply,4516.html
Pure Power 9 is not System Power 9. Pure Power 9 has a groupregulated FSP Raider platform, System Power 9 has an independed regulated platform from HEC. @Azurus77 his System Power 9 is a lot better than any Pure Power 9.

I guess it's a dead motherboard.

Reactions: Vic 40 and Azurus77
Oct 13, 2021

service ticket request

warranty terms

By Aris Mpitziopoulos

By Aris Mpitziopoulos

Addendum: If you elect to submit the claim, and I recommend that you do, please be aware that their are two similar models of PSUs; one SYSTEM POWER B9 600W (bulk) and the other SYSTEM POWER 9 600W. It would seem clear that you have the former, which you'll need to know when submitting your request. Most likely the serial number on your unit would tell them that, but I just figured that I should mention. The easiest way to get the serial number off your PSU is to open the case, and take a photo of the label on the side, and possibly the top of the unit.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1282

https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1279

Thank you for the detailed reply!
I had already contacted be quiet! before making this post (since the PSU is still under warranty) and they told me to send it to them. Their reply was a fairly standard automated reply, "we're sorry for the inconvenience. Sounds like a technical problem, we'll have to test and proceed from there", that sort of thing.

However, I needed second opinions about this problem since it would be quite annoying to give 20-40€ to send the PSU and not get a new one back, if for whatever reason my PSU worked perfectly for them, and then having to spend another 50€ or more to get a new PSU. Resulting in a loss of at least 70€ that could have gone to buying a better PSU or an upgrade that I much need.

Luckily, this period is a downtime period for me and I don't have much need of the PC currently, so I can wait to resolve this before buying a new PSU. I thank you for the recommendations nonetheless.

Oct 13, 2021
Bought a new mobo, CPU and RAM. Same thing...

New specs are
Mobo: MSI b450 tomahawk max ii
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM : Gskill ripjaws v 2x8gb @ 3200MHz

Everything else is the same. I tested the GPU on a friend's PC. Everything worked absolutely fine.

Flashed to latest BIOS for the 5600x and it went fine, all fans were spinning including the GPU's. As soon as I put the CPU and CPU fan and tried to boot it did the same thing as with the old specs. All fans spin except from the GPU's, no POST or beeps and I can't switch the PC off from the front panel button, only by switching off the PSU.

Tried to boot it up 3 times, one of them tripped the room's circuit breaker...

It's probably the PSU but I'd like some second opinions.
Will borrow a PSU from a friend and update accordingly.

TRENDING THREADS