Jun 20, 2020
I've made a really bad decision of purchasing a RAM kit which is not in my Motherboard QVL list. My configuration is like this
Asus Rog Strix B450-E Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 x 2 GB RAM (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 )
Rog Strix RTX 2060 Super GPU.

I'm not able to clock it to the rated 3200Mhz speed, but I'm at peace with the 32GB kit running at 2666Mhz (The most stable speed). One fine morning I switched on the system and it did not POST. So I pulled out one of the 16GB sticks and tried and it booted. That means that particular stick is faulty right? I used the PC with the single 16GB stick for the rest of the day and on the next day I decided to insert that faulty stick again and this time it booted with both sticks at 2666Mhz. I used it normally (Mostly for video editing, gaming etc) for a few days until it failed to boot again. Now using with the single stick!!
I really can't decide whether that 16GB stick is faulty or not because I've read that this RAM kit is not optimised for Ryzen systems. So is it because of the incompatibility or is it the faulty RAM?
Your advice and insights much appreciated!!
P.S. - Sorry for this wordy story!! 😬

Solution
I've made a really bad decision of purchasing a RAM kit which is not in my Motherboard QVL list. My configuration is like this
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU

I'm not able to clock it to the rated 3200Mhz speed, but I'm at peace with the 32GB kit running at 2666Mhz (The most stable speed). One fine morning I switched on the system and it did not POST. So I pulled out one of the 16GB sticks and tried and it booted. That means that particular stick is faulty right? I used the PC with the single 16GB stick for the rest of the day and on the next day I decided to insert that faulty stick again and this time it...
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU

I'm not able to clock it to the rated 3200Mhz speed, but I'm at peace with the 32GB kit running at 2666Mhz (The most stable speed). One fine morning I switched on the system and it did not POST. So I pulled out one of the 16GB sticks and tried and it booted. That means that particular stick is faulty right? I used the PC with the single 16GB stick for the rest of the day and on the next day I decided to insert that faulty stick again and this time it booted with both sticks at 2666Mhz. I used it normally (Mostly for video editing, gaming etc) for a few days until it failed to boot again. Now using with the single stick!!
I really can't decide whether that 16GB stick is faulty or not because I've read that this RAM kit is not optimised for Ryzen systems. So is it because of the incompatibility or is it the faulty RAM?
Your advice and insights much appreciated!!
P.S. - Sorry for this wordy story!! 😬
Start by testing memory https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Reactions: ameerjahan
Solution