Discussion Possible for Windows 10 to feel "snappy?"

Dec 19, 2021
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone with high-end hardware has felt it actually made a difference on their Windows 10 rig in terms of how "quick and snappy" it feels in day to day use. I've been building PC's for 15 years, and a sys admin as 10. My newest PC is a Lenovo desktop with Core i9-10900, 32GB DDR4-3200 in dual channel, Quadro P620, and 512GB WB SN S730 SSD. I can't say that even with a brand new windows 10 pro install, it feels any better under normal loads than my previous Intel NUC with an i5 and some type of NVME SSD.

Perhaps a better SSD would help, but disabling Windows animations has probably made more of a difference than that would. I mostly work on virtual servers these days, rather than PC's, so I am looking for high availability first and high performance next, and when I am looking at performance, it is usually IOPS for a database. So, is there anything you guys would consider to be a hardware bottleneck at the moment, like mechanical drives were back before SSD's, or do you think it's just the bloated Windows OS? Seems to me like systems are pretty well balanced these days. Has anyone actually noticed a difference when upgrading from an average NVME, to say a 980 Pro, or had a Windows machine that felt closer to an iPhone or even an Android when opening apps, etc.? Just curious what your thoughts are...

Whether it feels snappy depends on the task being performed and what part of the computer the task requires. Tasks that are essentially reliant on the cpu and memory speed, where code has been loaded into memory and then repeatedly executed, may appear snappier on a build with higher cpu, memory and video speeds, but most people probably won't notice the speed difference unless they're using a timer. Tasks that primarily require writing to a disk will appear snappier based on faster read and especially writing speeds. For example, when I do audio editing where the edited file has to be rendered and written to a new file on disk, I can see the difference. Video editing tasks depend on whether you're using cpu based video or an external video card. Other tasks like Winrar archiving and unarchiving which involve all the cpu, memory and disk components are noticeably faster on my newer build. But for most tasks and people, you wouldn't notice any snappy differences without a timer or video frame fps counter.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My newest PC is a Lenovo desktop with Core i9-10900, 32GB DDR4-3200 in dual channel, Quadro P620, and 512GB WB SN S730 SSD. I can't say that even with a brand new windows 10 pro install, it feels any better under normal loads than my previous Intel NUC with an i5 and some type of NVME SSD.
Maybe you expecting too much. You had an nvme in last PC, storage hasn't really gotten any faster since then, the difference between gen 3 and 4 isn't that massive in real time. CPU is more capable but the actual mb memory system is still same.

DDR 5 might make it faster... Needed to release DDR 5 as Gen 5 NVME will almost be same speed as ram otherwise.

More ram doesn't make system faster, windows doesn't load everything into the ram just cause you have more. More just means you don't use page file as often. But win 10/11 hardly ever use page file anyway, much more likely to compress data in ram than to write it to disk, as its slower to do 2nd part. Only writes to storage if you need the ram for other things.

TRENDING THREADS