Question Possible GPU/Mobo Issue?

Mar 1, 2019
I was playing fine on my PC yesterday until I tried booting it up today and getting severe microlags. I then reinstalled windows. Everything worked fine until I started playing games like Dota 2 and CSGO. I get spiky FPS from 144 down to 60+. All drivers are up to date including windows. FPS even gets worse when opening the Radeon Overlay.

Reinstalled windows again just to be sure it isn't a software issue. Issue still persists.

Had to reinstall 1 more time. Now, as soon as the graphics card driver finishes installing, black screen and screen loses signal.

Now it wouldn't boot past the bios splash screen when GPU is installed but is totally fine when unplugged.

Things to add up here is when I check the bios, it only says gpu is running x8 instead of x16. Plugged it in the 2nd slot and shows it running x0.

Before it wouldn't boot. I was still able to run heaven with it but with poor performance. But, get this, temps where within normal limits and it was holding the gpu core clock steady at 1342 100% of the time while heaven was running. Even while I tested the games, clocks and temps were stable and what they usually where, just with bad fps and fluctuations.

So my question is, do I have a bad GPU, motherboard or even a CPU?

Build:
i5 3570k 4.2ghz
z77m Pro Asus
16gb DDR3 ram
Rosewill 750m Gold(And yes, tried changing this since I have 2, same thing)
Sapphire RX480 8gb Nitro+ OC

Hello,
Is there any chance to test it in any other rig to be sure its not your motherboard causing it?

Have you tried any other older drivers (By older I dont mean Ancient, just 2-3 versions)?

Is your GPU sitting nicley in line with PCIE slot or its making a curved line?

Oh and is it still under warranty?

Mar 1, 2019
Hi, thank you for the reply.

I couldn't test it on another system. I'm kinda new to the place where I'm at and knows nobody with a pc.

And yes, the gpu fits snuggly in the pcie slot.

And no, the gpu warranty just expired. And the mobo warranty jas long been expired since the system is now obsolete.

System works without the gpu though. Stress test done on cpu and it works perfectly.