Question Possible graphics card conflict?

Feb 4, 2021
I have an issue with a graphics card which I’m really hoping someone can help me with... I have an HP desktop PC about three years old. I don’t have a great deal of computer know-how, but I know and understand the basics. My son is far more knowledgeable that I, and he helped me with this, but we still have a problem.
I do some moderate to high end graphics apps with my PC and the generic graphics card that came with the machine struggles, and one or two programs can’t run without something more robust.
Two yrs ago my some installed an AMD MSI R7 250 card and everything that would run before now did so, and the things that had run before, now ran much better.
Recently due to what I thought was a hard drive issue I replaced it with a solid state drive.
Turns out my issue was actually a bad graphics card. I bought a replacement (exact same kind) on eBay from a very reputable company. I installed it and it worked for about a minute then my monitor went black and it said there’s no input and it went to sleep.
My son helped me by going to the MSI website and downloaded an updated driver for that card, and also updated all other drivers (due to my recent hard drive change). And here’s the real problem...
The new card has power (the fan on top of it turns), but still I get a message saying the monitor has no input and goes to sleep.
After further troubleshooting I found that the old graphics card doesn’t work either as long as the new card is in the machine. Even when my HDMI cable is plugged into the old card, the monitor has no input. I have to physically remove the new card to get the old one to work. My son says he thinks the card is defective, but I think it may rather be some sort of conflict between two functioning graphics cards. My son has mentioned things about BIOS and drivers and so forth, which frankly speaking is over my head. I know this is a long post, and I’m sorry but does anyone have any thoughts on all this?

Feb 4, 2021
I have an issue with a graphics card which I’m really hoping someone can help me with... I have an HP desktop PC about three years old. I don’t have a great deal of computer know-how, but I know and understand the basics. My son is far more knowledgeable that I, and he helped me with this, but we still have a problem.
I do some moderate to high end graphics apps with my PC and the generic graphics card that came with the machine struggles, and one or two programs can’t run without something more robust.
Two yrs ago my some installed an AMD MSI R7 250 card and everything that would run before now did so, and the things that had run before, now ran much better.
Recently due to what I thought was a hard drive issue I replaced it with a solid state drive.
Turns out my issue was actually a bad graphics card. I bought a replacement (exact same kind) on eBay from a very reputable company. I installed it and it worked for about a minute then my monitor went black and it said there’s no input and it went to sleep.
My son helped me by going to the MSI website and downloaded an updated driver for that card, and also updated all other drivers (due to my recent hard drive change). And here’s the real problem...
The new card has power (the fan on top of it turns), but still I get a message saying the monitor has no input and goes to sleep.
After further troubleshooting I found that the old graphics card doesn’t work either as long as the new card is in the machine. Even when my HDMI cable is plugged into the old card, the monitor has no input. I have to physically remove the new card to get the old one to work. My son says he thinks the card is defective, but I think it may rather be some sort of conflict between two functioning graphics cards. My son has mentioned things about BIOS and drivers and so forth, which frankly speaking is over my head. I know this is a long post, and I’m sorry but does anyone have any thoughts on all this?
what are your system specs?

gpu, cpu, mobo, ram etc.
what are your system specs?

gpu, cpu, mobo, ram etc.
6mb RAM
CPU info says i3-4170 @3.70GHz
Gpu Intel HD graphics 4400 (this came with the pc)
GPU that I bought and installed then uninstalled MSI R7 250 2GD3 OC 2GB DDR desktop graphics card MS-V301

Not sure what mobo is....

Windows 10 Home version 1909 (updated February 3rd)
OS build 18363.1350
64 bit

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
6mb RAM
CPU info says i3-4170 @3.70GHz
Gpu Intel HD graphics 4400 (this came with the pc)
GPU that I bought and installed then uninstalled MSI R7 250 2GD3 OC 2GB DDR desktop graphics card MS-V301

Not sure what mobo is....

Windows 10 Home version 1909 (updated February 3rd)
OS build 18363.1350
64 bit
mobo=motherboard

I think the reason its not working might be beacuse you only have 6 mb of ram. You can buy a 16 gb dual channel kit for like 80 bucks nowadays.

TRENDING THREADS