Possible GTX 1080Ti overheating problem

Marcus_92

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
I have had my GTX 1080Ti for a while now, and I have noticed that if I put on a game that takes a lot of GPU, like the Hitman game or Empyrion in 4K and max settings, after a few minutes the computer freezes with a "BZZZZZ" sound coming from the speakers as loud as the sound setting on the speaker allows it.
I started up GPU Tweak II and noticed after a few times that it seems to do it as soon as the card reports 70C, but it only seems to happen the first time, if it hits 70C again after having frozen ones since warming up it seems fine.

To be clear, the computer ONLY freezes if the card hasn't already frozen once since cold. I can have played a less demanding game for hours and getting about 60 or 65 C, but then if I turn on a high demanding game, it goes a few minutes and then "BZZZZZZ"

I have made a custom fan curve and everything, but it doesn't seem to help the situation and I am now completely out of clues.

* I don't know 100% if it is the GPU, but it seems that way.
* I have 2 monitors, haven't tested if it is different with just 1.

PSU: Corsair Power Supply (PSU) HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum

Solution
70C is perfectly fine for your GPU, it is not overheating. But it is kinda strange that it happens when it hits that temp. Maybe it is a coincidence, or maybe not. Are you overclocking? If so, bring it back to stock settings and see if it happens.

It could be a driver issue. I would do a clean install of the drivers using this DDU tool. You may have a corrupted driver that is causing the issue and installing a new driver on top of it does not always work. Here is the DDU tool:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
70C is perfectly fine for your GPU, it is not overheating. But it is kinda strange that it happens when it hits that temp. Maybe it is a coincidence, or maybe not. Are you overclocking? If so, bring it back to stock settings and see if it happens.

It could be a driver issue. I would do a clean install of the drivers using this DDU tool. You may have a corrupted driver that is causing the issue and installing a new driver on top of it does not always work. Here is the DDU tool:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Solution

Marcus_92

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

So, when I started that up, my old AMD RX480 showed up which I thought I removed, so I removed it now with the program you recommended in safe mode and it doesn't show up when I start that program again, so hopefully that was it, I'll test around a bit and if it is still fixed tomorrow after having cooled down I'll mark your reply as the solution.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Hi, You have not mentioned what make the card is. The reason I said this is that it may have come with some sort of monitoring software. I have EVGA cards but I don't use their monitoring software. I use MSI Afterburner downloaded from MSI website (not from any other website). The max temp for 1080 Ti is usually 90 degrees Celcius. But due to the cost of the card, I will never let the card reaching that hot. I set the threshold to 82 degrees Celcius. I hope this help.

Marcus_92

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

The card is a Republic of Gamers one, so GPU Tweak II should be theirs. I looked up monitoring softwares earlier on when I had the issues, figured that the lack of a monitoring software might have made it not understand when it needed to change the fan speed, but alas, it did not help.

Come to think about the earlier OC question, this is its full name: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB OC
However, it is stock OCd, but that's about as much OC as I dare such an expensive card to have.

I suggest using MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X for monitoring/OC the GPU. It does not matter which brand of card you have, any brand will work with that software. You have a decent card that already has a decent OC on it, so don't feel like you have to overclock it any more. But with that being said, there are a lot of built in controls these days with GPUs that make it difficult to damage the chip.