Possible hard drive failure.

SKYNOODLE

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
I'll just give you what I can at the moment, I recently changed a very minor thing with regedit to basically get rid of Xbox DVR. I doubt that's caused the problem. Anyway, whats happened is that already today some games were stuttering really badly, but then they basically stopped doing so and everything went on normally, I tried recording and streaming all without any issues, everything was "fine" up until some 30 minutes ago, I decided to play a bit of CS:GO and as I was loading into a match everything pretty much came tumbling down, I forced a reboot and prayed to the flying spaghetti monster for it to have been just a waste of my time and nothing else, when I was booting up I got the "hard drive S.M.A.R.T. status bad, backup and replace" message, as I pressed f1 to proceed I got a blue screen of death with the error code "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" and the data collection process or whatever the hell that is stuck at 15 percent. Wondering whether there's still any hope for this hard drive or do I need to start looking for the warranty and what can I about this whole mess. I'd also love some suggestions to figure out what caused this whole ordeal so I could possibly avoid this in the future.

Hard drives are mechanical, and can and will fail. There's nothing you can do to prevent failure. Periodically creating an image of the drive, or having a good backup plan can help you recover after a drive failure.

If you have to keep a system up, there is RAID, but it requires multiple drives adding cost, so it isn't something most home users set up.

Hard drives are mechanical, and can and will fail. There's nothing you can do to prevent failure. Periodically creating an image of the drive, or having a good backup plan can help you recover after a drive failure.

If you have to keep a system up, there is RAID, but it requires multiple drives adding cost, so it isn't something most home users set up.

SKYNOODLE

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015

Well, thanks for at least clearing that up for me, guess I will have to set up some backup next time, though I hope the new seagate I'm getting will hold out a bit longer than this.. well I don't know the brand even, haven't had time to take it out and deal with it yet.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS