Possible Hardware Damage From Loose RAM Stick

Jan 3, 2019
This was a pretty careless mistake but, I was cleaning out my PC (Dell XPS 8900) after some performance issues, and I took out the Ram and graphics card. After cleaning everything I forgot to lock one of the Ram sticks back into place. Without knowing I closed my PC up, then put it back upright. I heard a noise inside when I did that and saw that the ram had come loose and probably hit a bunch of essential hardware while I was putting my PC upright. Also, I saw this little thing on the motherboard that was under the cpu, that looked bent but I had no idea what it was. So I quickly put the ram in correctly and booted up my PC, and it would not boot up and the power button was blinking an orange color.

So I just need some help with what could be potentially wrong and where I could go to fix it.
Thank You.

Dell XPS 8900

Intel i7 6700

x2 8gb seagate RAM

GIGABYTE GTX 1060 6gb

Solution

- Turn the power switch to the OFF position located on your power supply.
- Hold in the power button located on your panel for 10-15 seconds to discharge any power in the board.
- Make sure the ram is in properly, and the clips on either side of it are secure
- If you've checked and both are already properly secure, then take out all...

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
The power LED should be flashing in a pattern (2 or 3 flashes, a pause, then up to 7 flashes) Please refer to the Diagnostic LED Indicators table here:

www.dell.com/.../a-reference-guide-to-the-xps-desktop-diagnostic-indicators

That should give you a better idea of what the problem is.

Jan 3, 2019

What I got was 2 flashes then another 7 which indicates a memory failure. What should I do from here?

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016

- Turn the power switch to the OFF position located on your power supply.
- Hold in the power button located on your panel for 10-15 seconds to discharge any power in the board.
- Make sure the ram is in properly, and the clips on either side of it are secure
- If you've checked and both are already properly secure, then take out all ram sticks except for one and attempt to start your computer. If it doesn't start then change/swap the stick that's in your board with the other stick of ram. This is a part of process of elimination to see if it's just a faulty stick of ram. If it starts with one in, add the second stick. If it fails, then that second stick could be the issue.

Solution