Possible hardware failure

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Sorry I could not find a place to put this topic feel free to move this is necessary.

Back in late January for my brother I built a computer. I used mainly parts left over from my 3 year old dell and bought a motherboard, cpu, case a powersupply. I used the computer for 2 weeks and it worked fine before giving it to him. I reformatted windows and gave him the computer. It now seems that the computer breaks once a week. I reformatted it 4 times and it is developing problems such as.

1. Missing windows system files.

2. Locks up at windows startup

3. General slowdown

4. Unable to run windows update

The system is generally unstable. I am at a loss here and think that there is bad component somewhere. I am going to be receiving the computer from him today to fix it once more and this time i want to test all the components. My gut feeling is the mobo but if any of the other components can cause errors in windows like this please tell me. I am frustrated and at a loss so your help would be great.

the components

Athlon x2 4400
biostar tforce 520

link to it at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138082

585 watt xpower powersupply no link cause i got it at a local store though i think it works fine

nvidia geforce 8800gts (g80) 640mb
I used it in my dell gaming system till i replaced that computer so i do not believe this component till to be broken

2 gig of dell generic ram 2 * 1 gb 667 mhz

250 gig hd also out of the dell
sata drive

dvd burner *16 ide

this is what i think it is.

I don't think i missed anything thanks for any help you can give in advance.

Mondoman

Splendid
1) Why do you think the power supply works fine? No-name brand power supplies often cause problems. At the least, check out the voltage/amperage label on the side of the PS and figure out what its current maximums are for +12V1, +12V2, +12V3.
2) It's always a good idea to run some basic testing programs:
a) memtest86+ (this doesn't even require an OS to be installed) - make sure the system makes it through at least a couple of complete passes without any errors.
b) Orthos in both "small FFT" mode (which tests mostly CPU) and "blend" mode (which tests CPU and RAM).
c) download the free drive-testing software from the maker of the hard disk drive and run it to check the drive.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi,

I think you will find there is no magic bullet answer for your problem. Quite possibly the motherboard (cheap) has been damaged by using a cheap PSU. I suspect a similar problem with a build I made for a guy at work. The board was great with a low wattage Enermax FlexATX PSU. Then a year after using a generic 10.00GBP ATX PSU the Windows is getting a corrupted loader all the time (necessitating the use of the good ol' recovery console) and the RAM is peppered with errors (even if I swap in very high end Corsair XMS RAM).

The more el cheapo comments you use together the less likely it is that a system will hold together for any length of time...

I would recommend the tried and trusted method of swapping out parts to pin down the cause of the problems. However be aware that a cheapo PSU can take down a whole system suddenly (I have seen that happen as well - a RAM stick blew during the process) or by stealth (damaging components overtime by supplying components with spikes of too little voltage, too much voltage, or with excessive ripple voltage).

I replaced every component in the guys system (bar the case). (Ebay'd) DFI socket 939 board, Enermax Liberty PSU, Seagate 7200.10 HD, 1Gb (Ebay'd) Kingston Hyper X RAM was the gear going into the new build. It should last 10 years or more (even with the 3000+ CPU stable at 2.4Ghz and the RAM:FSB 1:1 @ 275Mhz). I won't have to fix the Windows boot-loader/file system in that period I bet!! I've learnt my lesson - have YOU??!!

Bob

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
i went and did some testing at the house today and found out a few things

I had some time off this afternoon so i went and tested the outlet at his house. My brother also said that the print wasn't working right anymore and it turns out i think he got an electric spike. In any case i plan on having the psu replaced at least (time to play the amazing game of finding out what else got hit). Can anyone recommend me a psu to order i don't want to spend to much money though It needs to be about 550 watts

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Not really sure because everything is different in the US...

But work from:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

E.g. Corsair PSU @$80.00 (after rebate) at NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
The cheaper 450VA is also good (as it has such a strong 12V rail).

Work from Tier 2 or Tier 1. You can't go wrong then!!

Bob

Dirty_Barry

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
I hate it when my hardware fails me.
Do you have this problem?
If so you need hardware camp! We will teach you hardware the proper means and commands to have it operating how you want to.

No more failures, no more missing band camp. New hardware camp from panko.