skipshot4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Hey folks,
I'm looking for some assistance. I just built a new computer and Its having some issues that I'm trying to diagnose. Basically when I play a game (in this case KTOR) the game will some times crash and drop me back into the OS. Sometime it will even go so far as to reboot. At first I thought it was the powersupply but it wasn't.

Might this be a memory issue? I have 1 gig of Corsair Value DDR4 RAM (2x512MB). If so how do I verify it and rectify it? Anything else I should be considering/doing to better diagnose the issue? Anything I should read?

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I've seen this problem in a few cases now.

In one case my friend has an AMD processor, good quality memory (major brand), 9800 Radeon PRO, decent power supply, and an OEM motherboard.

wait.. OEM mobo? something sounds not right. All the hardware is pretty good except the mobo.

After the motherboard was switched, no more crashing.

I've seen similar cases where the memory was to blame.

What are your system specs:
mobo, memory, processor, VGA card??

FYI.. my friend had a slot-A Chaintech board. I do not recommend chaintech.

skipshot4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
My system specs are:

EPoX "EP-8KDA3J" nForce3-250Gb Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754

AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP

Thermaltake Silent PurePower 560W Power Supply for AMD and Intel ATX 12V, Model "W0023"

BlackWolf

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
I don't think you have a hardware problem. Catalyst drivers (new versions) do not like the game engine for KTOR and NWN. If you go to Biowares site and look under thier tech forum, there is lots of info regarding driver issues. I just put a 9600xt in an old 1700+ system and had the same problems. Installed some much older drivers and everything runs smoothly. Check it out.

I know what I'm doing, I never lose. Can I borrow $5.