Question Possible memory problems. How can I be certain?

X_E_N

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
For years now, my computer has always crashed while playing games. I used to brush it off but over the years I've slowly become tired and dare I say it, even depressed over my computers ability to crash.

First the specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 35 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V LX (LGA1155) 29 °C
Graphics
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (Gigabyte) 57 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0 (SATA ) 32 °C
0B SAMSUNG HD204UI (SATA )
931GB SAMSUNG HD103SI (SATA ) 24 °C
238GB M4-CT256M4SSD2 (SATA (SSD))
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
PSU
Unknown model, but it is a Corsair 1000W

I've had the occasional bluescreen when not gaming, some cases when the machine is idle, but the pattern seems clear.
Games while crash to desktop with little warning and only in rare cases display any error message.

When they do however, it is nearly always an "Access Violation" message. In come cases after the game crashes the system then bluescreens also.

Here is a folder of all the dump files I have on file plus some other files.

Favourite bluescreen hits include:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

plus many more.

With all the errors and other posts I've made, a general consensus is that it is my memory which is the issue. However Memtest86 ran with all default, 4 passes all night with no issues.
That being said, I ran it again last night and when I woke up I saw this.

Unsure if that time is 5 hours 55 minutes or 5 minutes 55 seconds. If the latter, then it froze.

I also ran Memtesk HCI and that threw errors up everywhere.

I'm saving up to be able to buy replacement memory at the end of the month. Found a good deal I think, but I don't want to waste money on RAM when that isn't the issue.
How can I be truly certain the memory is borked? Is memtest86 the only true way?

It may be faulty ram. It also may be a faulty PSU or motherboard.

I have several years ago now, had an computer with an issue similar to RAM failure - Memtest86+ detected errors, typically several test was done but the location/address for each test was different between tests.
It turned out that particular computer got just fine again (Memtest all passed) after replacing PSU.

Have a look at the electrolytes at the mainboard and see if the top lid of some looks like start to boil over. If that is found, then you need to replace the motherboard as well (if you not by chance are trained to do soldering on motherboard and component-wise replacement).

Reactions: lynx1021