Possible Memory Problems...

G

Hello everyone!

In the past, I have found these forums as the only place where the weird questions/problems I have get resolved. So here it goes again.

Over the last year or so I have run my computer problem-free as I have not added nor deleted any major software or any hardware. For a few years I have connected to the Internet via a dial-up connection.

That is, until last Thursday when I finally got cable modem installed (AT&T Roadrunner). As those of you who have cable modem already know, I had the choice of buying my cable modem or leasing it from the company. I chose to buy it. At the request of AT&T, I did not take the cable modem out of the box prior to Thursday (the technician himself was the one who opened it just before hooking it up). The night before, however, to save a few precious minutes, I had taken the liberty of installing the network card, a NETGEAR FA311 FastEthernet PCI Adapter.

On Thursday the technician came and ran the coaxial cable past my living room into the computer room. I could see from a distance that he checked all the modem settings (I was not on top of him supervising everything he did, although I probably should have). Then, within a matter of 5 minutes, he had actually connected the network cable from my computer into the cable modem. He indicated that I was all set and actually loaded a couple of pages up to show me that it was working (cnn.com and AT&T Roadrunner’s own web page). I assumed things were fantastic. About one half hour after his departure (total time at my residence (from the moment the doorbell rang) was about 20 minutes) I decided to browse the Internet and try out my new toy.

Here comes the problem: After about 3 or 5 minutes, sometimes 2 but sometimes 30 minutes, I get that dreaded blue screen from Windows. The majority of the time it reads as follows (with only a minor change which I will note):

“An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C29BD36E in VxD FA311ND3(01)+ 0000040E. This was called from 0028:C001C0D4 in VxD NDIS(01)+ 00004260. It may be possible to continue normally.”

Sometimes the exception occurs at 0028:C29BD28E or even at 0028:C29BD12E.

Needless to say, I have to reboot as the computer freezes or cable modem does not respond. This message comes up most consistently when I play a heavy graphics game such as Ultima Online. If I am just strictly surfing the Internet, the problem manifests itself in just a black screen with a green line across the top of the screen.

A friend of mine suggested that it may be a memory problem but I am helpless and do not wish to hold for 3 hours calling Microsoft.

The following information may be of use to whoever is knowledgeable about this problem:

Chip: AMD K-6 II 450Mhz (3DNow) chip
Motheboard: Asus P5A motherboard.
Video Card: Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT (Driver Provider: Creative Labs; Date 3/5/99) Interrupt Request:11.
RAM: PC100 64MB
(Btw..I have removed the old 56K modem)

After I post this message I will attempt at removing the Video Card from the Device Manager tab in System Properties and let Win98 detecting on its own again after boot up.

I hope to hear from anyone as I cannot begin to think how I can solve this problem.

Regards,
JGS

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What PCI slot is the network card in?
Is your network card sharing any IRQs with anyother device specifically you video card or sound card?
What other cards do you have?
You are probably having a resource conflict between your network card and something else. You need to make sure each card has its own IRQ in both the device manager and the bios.
Also, I have not had very good luck with NetGear cards, I have better luck with LinkSys cards.

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Great minds think alike! (fools seldom differ.. ;)

I was thinking the same thing. Conflict with your Netcard. I would say, because of the jet black screen with the green line, and because it happens in graphical games, that is is probably a conflict with the vid card.

As Bubba said, list your entire setup. It might help someone help you. In the meantime, I would swap the network card to another slot, and install the newest drivers for all your hardware.

I really don't see anything that points to bad memory, especially since the problem started about the time you installed your NIC (net interface card).