[SOLVED] Possible Motherboard Damage

Feb 15, 2019
Hello everyone,

This is my first thread here on Tom's Hardware. Recently, there was some damage to my desktop due to condensation. A brown fluid was dripping off of my heat sink and onto my GPU. When supplying power to the GPU the system will not power on at all. However, when not supplying power to the GPU the system boots. There was also recently a burning smell coming from my GPU. I'm pretty sure it's fried. So I ordered a new GPU as well as a new PSU. I checked my old PSU with a multimeter and everything seems fine, but because I was running on the bare minimum number of Watt's needed in order to power the system I decided to get a new one. However, I'm not sure if there is any damage to the motherboard. I'm afraid that if there is damage to the motherboard that it will damage my new GPU. I wish that I had some spare parts so that I can isolate the damage further. So should I also get a new motherboard? What would you recommend I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Feb 15, 2019
cheaper than getting a new mobo, is getting a dirt cheap spare GPU, a $10-15 card, just to test, it'll work or it won't.
Yeah, that's a great idea. Thanks.

Are there any burn spots on the motherboard? I'd take a thorough look at it.
I haven't noticed any burn spots on the motherboard. No blown capacitors. I did notice a small amount of black debris by the PCI slot, but that's it.