[SOLVED] Possible motherboard failure? or CPU?

johnqhu

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Hi Guys,

I have a old DIY PC, the mother board is ASUS H97 plus and CPU is i5-4590. It worked fine until two days ago. When I switched it on to watch Youtube, it just show me blue screen and with stop code "whea uncorrectable error".

At first, I thought it may be because of the hard disk. I disconnected the hard disk and try to boot from a USB key. But it always stop during the booting. Then I tried change the RAM, still the same. Then I remove my GTX650 and use the core video adaptor. Still the same.

So I reset my bios by removing the motherboard battery. No fix.

Then the summary of the current situation is:

1. There is no problem to enter and config bios/UEFI.

2. Tried different hard disk, USB key, Memory and video card. But cannot boot to any system. For windows, stop at blue screen "whea uncorrectable error", USB key with windows installation media stops at booting(circling).

So, I think maybe my mother board and CPU have problem. While I doing further debugging, can anyone give me any suggestion?

Regards,

Solution
Try disabling onboard motherboard devices. Could be a bad network interface, audio chipset, usb controller, etc that is causing issues.

Also not uncommon to be able to access the BIOS with a broken GPU, that runs on the VESA part of the GPU, loading the drivers for the GPU might be what causes it to crash. So also try disabling the Intel graphics completely.

Can you run memtestx86?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Try disabling onboard motherboard devices. Could be a bad network interface, audio chipset, usb controller, etc that is causing issues.

Also not uncommon to be able to access the BIOS with a broken GPU, that runs on the VESA part of the GPU, loading the drivers for the GPU might be what causes it to crash. So also try disabling the Intel graphics completely.

Can you run memtestx86?

Solution

johnqhu

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Thanks for the help of your guys. Currently I found a solution though I haven't understand why.

It seems it's the CPU which leads to the problem. I found if I change the CPU core voltage from auto mode to manual mode, the windows 10 can start without problem. But I don't know what's the difference because I cannot set the core voltage in the manual mode. It's sub option" CPU core voltage override" is always auto and no other choice.

Anyone know the difference?

TRENDING THREADS