[SOLVED] Possible motherboard or PSU damage

Mar 18, 2020
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM - 16.0GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800)
Motherboard - ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING (AM4)
Graphics - 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

I also have a Radeon 5700 that I recently got, which is the catalyst for all this.

PSU - CORSAIR RMX Series, RM850x, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified

All parts, other than the Geforce 970 and Radeon 5700, date back to November of last year, and have been fine since then.

So, for the actual problem. I recently got the Radeon 5700 because it was on sale. Installed it, no issues for the first few days. Then, suddenly, the radeon software would start crashing, and later on even BSOD's with Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error as the code started hitting. Thinking it was just the card, I took it out, got it ready for an RMA, and swapped back in my Geforce 970.

Now the 970 has a separate problem. It's crashing, but in a different way, where the video keeps going uninterrupted, but my mouse, keyboard, audio, and internet adapter turn off and back on to a degree. Audio turns back on, so does the network adapter, but my keyboard and mouse remain off, so I'm forced to do a hard reboot.

I'm torn between whether this is a PSU or a motherboard issue now. My line of thinking is that the increased power draw of the Radeon 5700 over what the Geforce 970 uses caused something to go bad, but I'm unsure where. Advice would be appreciated. More info can also be given as needed, I had HWinfo64 running and logging during the most recent lockup. I also have a memory.DMP and stuff from the Radeon crashes.

Solution
The error you are getting usually means that there is an error with the graphics card. Either this error is caused by corrupted system files, 3rd party software, the GPU itself or due to a hardware change. When you put in the 5700, did you use DDU to completely uninstall all previous Nvidia drivers for the 970 before installing Radeon drivers? Your PSU is more than plenty so I am pretty sure it is not a PSU issue unless your system is crashing and restarting during games or when under heavy load.

These two links may help you:
The error you are getting usually means that there is an error with the graphics card. Either this error is caused by corrupted system files, 3rd party software, the GPU itself or due to a hardware change. When you put in the 5700, did you use DDU to completely uninstall all previous Nvidia drivers for the 970 before installing Radeon drivers? Your PSU is more than plenty so I am pretty sure it is not a PSU issue unless your system is crashing and restarting during games or when under heavy load.

These two links may help you:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-video-scheduler-internal-error-blue-screen-error

Solution
Mar 18, 2020
So, update to this, pretty sure it’s the PSU, I now also have 2 dead hard drives. Tried the drives in another computer, completely dead. Tried separate hard drives from a older computer, and they show up.

Also, the blue screen was only on the Radeon card, the 970 had a separate issue, but it worked previously in the past before everything started going downhill.

Mar 18, 2020
New drives are fine, no problems what so ever. The older drives I also tested on a separate computer, and they wouldn't show either.

I got a new PSU, a EVGA 850 G+, but I'm still encountering issues. As of note, I almost always have no issues while the card is under load, except for a game called Stellaris. Most of the BSOD's I have encountered are while the card is idle, or while watching videos on youtube.

TRENDING THREADS