Possible motherboard & video card issue

RichardRahl32

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I'm building my first gaming computer. I need help figuring out a possible compatibility problem between my MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard and my ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card. There are 2 ports on the video card HDMI and another one that I don't know about. I hooked my computer up to my plasma tv via HDMI cable and still couldn't get a picture. Am wondering if that other port has something to do with it or am I missing something. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

RichardRahl32

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
This is a new build. I have just recently bought parts from Amazon.com directly and from other merchants through Amazon.com. This is my second computer but my first gaming computer, not a hardware upgrade. When I turn on my computer, all the fans run, the LED lights on the motherboard light up. The fan on the video card runs also, but no picture on the monitor and no beeping sounds. Yes I have run through the Read before posting boot problems. I will get a motherboard speaker and see what happens.

RichardRahl32

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I have tried a different video card with same outcome, no picture. At this point I'm guessing the problem is not the video card but maybe the motherboard or something I missed, which could be more likely but I can't think of what that would be. The only thing that happens when I turn the power on is the fans turn on, nothing else. I looked for another jumper other than the CMOS but found none. there is a 4-pin connector on the motherboard and also a partially clear white plastic power connector on the motherboard (at least I'm assuming it is a power connector) What do with these 2 connectors if anything?