[SOLVED] Possible performance loss after installing new monitor?(RTX 3060 Ti)

Aug 27, 2020
Hi! I'm not really sure if I'm just being paranoid about it, but I've recently installed a new monitor and I'm afraid I may have done something wrong to my graphics card in the process.

I have a really crappy case, and as it turns out, I was unable to properly plug in the Displayport cable. The rubber part around the plug is too thick, so I was unable to properly push it all the way as it would get stuck on the part of the case around the GPU's ports. So, I opened up my case and unscrewed the part of the graphics card that keeps the rear side steadily locked to the rear panel of the case (where all the ports are located). That way, I could loosen the card slightly and wiggle it just a tiny bit, until I managed to plug in the DP cable into one of the ports. After that, I screwed the graphics card back in place. I didn't remove it from the PCIe slot, either. I just loosened it slightly so that I could plug in the cable at an angle, then reseated it.

The thing is, is it possible that this wiggling may have done something to the card that could potentially degrade performance? I ran a Userbenchmark test (which I know is unreliable) and my graphics card performance seemed to have lowered compared to past tests (128% today vs. 133%) before. I immediately started wondering if I had somehow done something to the card. Maybe the little bit of wiggling made it so the pins in the PCIe slot aren't properly seated? I didn't remove the latch that keeps the pins in place, but still. I made sure Freesync/Gsync was turned off during the test as well. Now, the thing is, I then ran a Furmark benchmark test, and I got the usual framerate for my GPU at the 1080p preset. So, I thought I was just being paranoid and Userbenchmark doesn't know how to handle Displayport monitors, or something. I also ran Metro Exodus' benchmark and got my usual framerate as well.

That being said, I couldn't get it out of my head that I may have done something wrong with the card during this whole debacle. It's an expensive piece of equipment, after all.

Userbenchmark results: (Yes, I have made a lot of tests. :sweatsmile:)
Furmark results: https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=346869

Should I be worried? I'm running a 3060 Ti with an R5 3600, and a 144hz monitor.

Solution
Let's hope you're right. ^^; I'm not exactly the best when it comes to tech (this is the first PC I've ever built), and I know Userbenchmark isn't exactly reliable, but I that minor change made me worry I screwed something up. I ran the Metro Exodus benchmark again just to be safe, and yep, same framerate as usual. I really should stop using that site. :p

Most of the people use that website to help see what people have as hardware and the average performance of your hardware. If you're inside the % and not too much on the lowest % you're ok. Your HDD is performing a bit slower because it's a 1TB HDD and it has 150GB left. That explains why it's running a bit slower.

Sometime you can see the CPU not using all the cores or...
Everything is fine. You could have made your test yesterday with a 133% and today another test but more people did the test too and they OCed their 3060 TI and your test is at 128% now.

If you have the same performance in game stop worrying and have fun with your new GPU :)

Aug 27, 2020
Everything is fine. You could have made your test yesterday with a 133% and today another test but more people did the test too and they OCed their 3060 TI and your test is at 128% now.

If you have the same performance in game stop worrying and have fun with your new GPU :)
Let's hope you're right. ^^; I'm not exactly the best when it comes to tech (this is the first PC I've ever built), and I know Userbenchmark isn't exactly reliable, but I that minor change made me worry I screwed something up. I ran the Metro Exodus benchmark again just to be safe, and yep, same framerate as usual. I really should stop using that site. :p

Most of the people use that website to help see what people have as hardware and the average performance of your hardware. If you're inside the % and not too much on the lowest % you're ok. Your HDD is performing a bit slower because it's a 1TB HDD and it has 150GB left. That explains why it's running a bit slower.

Sometime you can see the CPU not using all the cores or boosting to the same speed as the base speed. That could tell an overheating issue or a msconfig cores settings misconfigured.

The RAM can show the speed of the RAM and at what speed the user is running them. So it's easy to see when someone is not using XMP.

You can see alot of useful stuff but where we don't go crazy is when there is a few % of difference compared to another test a few days later. It just tells you some people overclocked their stuff and now you're not in the 133% anymore but at 128%.

It's still a good % and everything looks fine in that userbenchmark.

You can go have some fun in peace. What you did did not damage your card. You just unscrewed it to plug the cable. Wiggling it a bit doesn't damage anything.

Just take a look at the video below from 18:45 to 20:40. The reaction of the team is so funny and just look at how she wiggles and do stuff to the GPU like a maniac. She doesn't even open the PCIe Slot lock when she removes it the first time. It was hard watching that video but funny and the system was working fine. Don't worry about your small wiggle :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTh-7JYsp5k

Solution
Aug 27, 2020

Sometime you can see the CPU not using all the cores or boosting to the same speed as the base speed. That could tell an overheating issue or a msconfig cores settings misconfigured.

The RAM can show the speed of the RAM and at what speed the user is running them. So it's easy to see when someone is not using XMP.

You can see alot of useful stuff but where we don't go crazy is when there is a few % of difference compared to another test a few days later. It just tells you some people overclocked their stuff and now you're not in the 133% anymore but at 128%.

It's still a good % and everything looks fine in that userbenchmark.

You can go have some fun in peace. What you did did not damage your card. You just unscrewed it to plug the cable. Wiggling it a bit doesn't damage anything.

Just take a look at the video below from 18:45 to 20:40. The reaction of the team is so funny and just look at how she wiggles and do stuff to the GPU like a maniac. She doesn't even open the PCIe Slot lock when she removes it the first time. It was hard watching that video but funny and the system was working fine. Don't worry about your small wiggle :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTh-7JYsp5k
Thanks. You certainly put me at ease with your info. :) I do have one question though, and this is something I noticed even before I got this new monitor and this whole "thing" happened. I ran the Metro Exodus benchmark earlier and got 69 fps average at 1080p with RTX settings, which is pretty good for that game considering how demanding it is. I was just playing another game with a buddy now and after we were finished, out of curiosity, I decided to run the benchmark again, and got 66 fps average. Not a big deal, but it's curious to see this slight bump down in performance. When I first ran the benchmark earlier, I had just booted up my PC, so could it having something to do with temps or having more things running in the background when I ran it the second time later? Just curious. I remember having a similar experience with Metal Gear Solid V on my old PC.

It helps that the game I was playing with my friend was pretty much using very little of my GPU (40% max), but then again, Code Vein isn't a demanding game. :p

EDIT: Okay, so I noticed that, in past Userbenchmark tests, my framerate in the GPU tests really was just slightly higher. I wonder what caused it to become lower now? Could it be the cable? I used HDMI before, now I'm using Displayport. And of course, I made sure Freesync and such was turned off. Or maybe I didn't turn it off? Maybe I should stop worrying. ^^; Thanks again!

Last edited:
2 fps is not enough to be considered an issue. If you run the test again you could have an average of 71 fps or 68 fps. This will fluctuate.

You're doing the same thing again that I just told you not to worry about. Unless you see a big drop in your fps everything is ok. An average is an average.

Reactions: Metaler_guy

TRENDING THREADS