Question Possible Power Shortage, Possible Hardware Failure.

Jarfulous

Honorable
May 17, 2016
Hey all,
Just upgraded my good ole custom Win7 PC to Win10 after putting it off way too long. However, ever since I did, I've been having an issue where the computer sometimes restarts, with no warning and for no clear reason. I suspect power failure, but I'm not sure. I haven't made any major hardware changes or anything, so it seems a bit odd, unless Windows 10 uses more power?

I posted this to Reddit as well, and one user suggested the possibility of CPU or motherboard failure, though they admitted to not being an expert. Post hasn't gotten any more responses, so I thought I'd ask here too.

I'll get a new, higher capacity power supply if I have to, but that'd be a lot of unplugging and replugging to do, so I'm kinda hoping it's something I can fix more easily. Wondering if there's a piece of software you'd recommend for viewing exact power usage of each part or something.

My components are as follows:
  • MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX motherboard
  • AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4 GHz 4-core CPU
  • 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 RAM
  • 3.5" 7200RPM HDD (1TB if it matters)
  • Two SSDs (one 120GB, one 2TB)
  • MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB GPU
  • Internal CD/DVD reader/writer
  • Internal Blu-Ray/CD/DVD reader/writer
  • And the piece de resistance, Corsair CXM 430W 80+ Bronze Certified power supply
Any feedback or input is appreciated.

Hey all,
Just upgraded my good ole custom Win7 PC to Win10 after putting it off way too long. However, ever since I did, I've been having an issue where the computer sometimes restarts, with no warning and for no clear reason. I suspect power failure, but I'm not sure. I haven't made any major hardware changes or anything, so it seems a bit odd, unless Windows 10 uses more power?

I posted this to Reddit as well, and one user suggested the possibility of CPU or motherboard failure, though they admitted to not being an expert. Post hasn't gotten any more responses, so I thought I'd ask here too.

I'll get a new, higher capacity power supply if I have to, but that'd be a lot of unplugging and replugging to do, so I'm kinda hoping it's something I can fix more easily. Wondering if there's a piece of software you'd recommend for viewing exact power usage of each part or something.

My components are as follows:
  • MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX motherboard
  • AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4 GHz 4-core CPU
  • 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 RAM
  • 3.5" 7200RPM HDD (1TB if it matters)
  • Two SSDs (one 120GB, one 2TB)
  • MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB GPU
  • Internal CD/DVD reader/writer
  • Internal Blu-Ray/CD/DVD reader/writer
  • And the piece de resistance, Corsair CXM 430W 80+ Bronze Certified power supply
Any feedback or input is appreciated.
Just to pick around the edges a little.

It certainly would not hurt to bump the psu up a notch.

Get a can of air and a small brush and give the innards a good cleaning.
Heatsinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget to give the psu a few shots of air from both directions.

Jarfulous

Honorable
May 17, 2016
Just to pick around the edges a little.

It certainly would not hurt to bump the psu up a notch.

Get a can of air and a small brush and give the innards a good cleaning.
Heatsinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget to give the psu a few shots of air from both directions.

Hmm, a deep cleaning might be a good idea. I'll try that at some point.

Do you happen to have any ideas for testing the CPU and MB?