Possible Power Shortage with R9 290

Vanadil

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hi Guys,

I've recently built a system with a R9 290, an FX-8350 and a Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 650W to power it all.

My question is that whilst playing BF4 (all on ultra, nom nom) I have now had 3 or 4 random black screen crashes that literally just crash out my PC to black and I have to physically restart the machine. Now this has happened literally at random as I have replayed parts of the single player where it happened and no crash again and the other time was in multiplayer. There is no warning, just black crash, pc dead.

This doesn't happen with any other games even on full and I will experiment with High settings rather than ultra in BF4.

Do you guys think that this is a BF4 issue or, the one I'm dreading, that the PSU simply can't handle both the power hungry 8350 and the R9 290?

Other hardware:

Corsair H80 cooler

16GB RAM 1800Mhz

Asus 990FX Sabertooth

1TB WD magnetic

250GB samsung SSD

Solution
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd better update this.

Turns out it was a RAM issue. I went to my BIOS and the RAM had ECC enabled and I had previously manually set the speed. I reverted the Speed to auto and disabled ECC, and voila. Lovely stable gaming platform.

Been playing BF4 at 70 - 80 FPS all on Ultra. Phew. Saved me a few quid.

Vanadil

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd better update this.

Turns out it was a RAM issue. I went to my BIOS and the RAM had ECC enabled and I had previously manually set the speed. I reverted the Speed to auto and disabled ECC, and voila. Lovely stable gaming platform.

Been playing BF4 at 70 - 80 FPS all on Ultra. Phew. Saved me a few quid.

Solution