Question possible power supply failure?

tysonjb1

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I am having some issues with my computer that i am wondering if they are caused by the power supply. The issue is that the computer will occasionally turn off and then turn immediately back on. This started happening when i started turning the air conditioner on so i initially thought that there was an issue with the supply to the house. since then i have tested it on an uninterrupted power supply and it is still having the issue which has caused me great confusion. the voltage for the power supply was checked through the BIOS not through a multimeter so i am not sure how accurate the readings through the BIOS are, it was sitting at 11.9V with no load on it at all

Has anyone had similar issues and found the answer?

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
First thing(s) to try (as long as yau are comfortable doing them!)

1.) Remove AC connection at PSU - is it melted? does it look scorched? ReSEAT ALL THE WAY does it fit in tight with no play? If is it loose - REPLACE!!

2.) Remove AC Power and press power button on PC.

3.) Open side cover (please use proper ESD/Anti-Static strap) and INSPECT and ReSEAT ALL CONNECTIONS Motherboard 24-pin & 4/8-pin + Molex + Sata + PCIe.

Run system to see if shutdowns continue.

tysonjb1

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
There is no melting or scorched look, also all of the connections are in correctly. I have not yet tested by pressing the power button with nothing connected.

I have currently placed the computer in another house in order to test if it will still cut power.

If it doesnt then my confusion will have peaked as i will have no clue as to what is causing it. I am using a different power supply cable for this test as well, so perhaps i should use the original one to potentially eliminate the possibility that it is simply the cable that is causing it

The issue is that the computer will occasionally turn off and then turn immediately back on. This started happening when i started turning the air conditioner on so i initially thought that there was an issue with the supply to the house. since then i have tested it on an uninterrupted power supply and it is still having the issue which has caused me great confusion.

What PSU and what UPS?

tysonjb1

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/26928
This is the psu and this
https://www.radioparts.com.au/produ...s-mod-sine-wave-line-interactive#.Xb5OzR7ZU0M
Is the psu.
So far the computer still has not crashed in the other house, this is without the use of the ups and is just plugged in to a basic power board which is causing me more confusion as i thought that even if the building that it was originally connected to had very short blackouts, that the ups would allow the computer to stay on with no cuts. I am now wondering if the short term solution may be the purchase of a long extension lead until the power supply issues to the house are resolved.

tysonjb1

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Please disregard my last message about the computer not shutting off. I opened a game in order to put slightly more load on the system and the power cut. I am definitely thinking that a new power supply is the solution

Reactions: jonnyguru
Nov 3, 2019
Please disregard my last message about the computer not shutting off. I opened a game in order to put slightly more load on the system and the power cut. I am definitely thinking that a new power supply is the solution

Friend had that, when I dropped by I took my power supply with me. Turned out it was, if you have friend nearby it's cheap and "fast" to test.

Another thing that has ever done instant reboot/shutdown to me is GPU, so I used overclocking program and downclocked it way down in most areas, solved that - I had NOT overheating GPU or anything, idk why, maybe bios thought it was overheating momentarily or something (not shown in over/downclocking graphics card program though). When playing games I clock it back up, error rarely occurs.